• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Suite (36S) look ok or should i return it for a 36 "r" instead?

Randomrazr

Reaction score
I feel like it should be a little bit longer. i know it needs a few alternations, like hemming the pants.

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
To my eye, it's on the short side, but the shoulders fit well and it seems otherwise to be a pretty good fit apart from the length.

If it wasn't custom ordered, I'd suggest trying the 36R.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
To my eye, it's on the short side, but the shoulders fit well and it seems otherwise to be a pretty good fit apart from the length.

If it wasn't custom ordered, I'd suggest trying the 36R.

no its not custom.

My first suit is a black suite (i know bad choice)

should my second suit be a navy like the picture or should i exchange for a dark grey:

_101930442.jpg

atia2

Reaction score
The R will be too long in the sleeve for you. The sleeve on the S is already hiding your shirt cuff in the third photo. The bottom of the jacket should be level with your palm, which it is.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
The R will be too long in the sleeve for you. The sleeve on the S is already hiding your shirt cuff in the third photo. The bottom of the jacket should be level with your palm, which it is.

Disagree. You should be able to cup the bottom of the jacket with your palm when the jacket is the proper length. Clearly he can't with the small. So long as the buttons on the jacket aren't functional, shortening the sleeves on the regular shouldn't be a problem.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
Disagree. You should be able to cup the bottom of the jacket with your palm when the jacket is the proper length. Clearly he can't with the small. So long as the buttons on the jacket aren't functional, shortening the sleeves on the regular shouldn't be a problem.

NAvy it is. it seems more versatile for a second suit.

i was planning on ordering this one here: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Pro...302023839+4294967189+4294966868&bmUID=maXOYou

it has subtle stripes. think that would be a good choice?

varsityreds0123

Reaction score

It seems as though you're starting to build a business wardrobe. I would suggest a plain navy suit for your first navy suit purchase. Plain navy is far more versatile than a navy pinstripe (however subtle the stripes). Once you establish a basic business wardrobe of a navy, charcoal, and mid grey suit, then you might consider other offerings like pinstripes.

I would have say that the lapels in the link you provided are unfashionably slim. Slim lapels are widely considered unflattering on Style Forum. Wider lapels balance a suit better and are aesthetically more eye-pleasing. Might I suggest you consider Spier & Mackay (an affiliate vendor on this forum with their own thread) for a suit that is modern with classic proportions and updated styling (barchetta pockets, Neapolitan lapels, quality fabrics from renowned mills and spalla camicia shoulders on some offerings). Their suits seem to be in your target price range, as well.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves are perfect but then length isn't.

If it was the "R" then the length would be perfect but the sleeves too long.

If there is enough distance between the cuffs and the gauntlet buttons to shorten them then that's the best option.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
It seems as though you're starting to build a business wardrobe. I would suggest a plain navy suit for your first navy suit purchase. Plain navy is far more versatile than a navy pinstripe (however subtle the stripes). Once you establish a basic business wardrobe of a navy, charcoal, and mid grey suit, then you might consider other offerings like pinstripes.

I would have say that the lapels in the link you provided are unfashionably slim. Slim lapels are widely considered unflattering on Style Forum. Wider lapels balance a suit better and are aesthetically more eye-pleasing. Might I suggest you consider Spier & Mackay (an affiliate vendor on this forum with their own thread) for a suit that is modern with classic proportions and updated styling (barchetta pockets, Neapolitan lapels, quality fabrics from renowned mills and spalla camicia shoulders on some offerings). Their suits seem to be in your target price range, as well.

Sleeves are perfect but then length isn't.

If it was the "R" then the length would be perfect but the sleeves too long.

If there is enough distance between the cuffs and the gauntlet buttons to shorten them then that's the best option.

So i ordered this suite 36R here since navy is veyr versatile...and seemed like a good deal around 600 dollars, plus i love the look and color of it: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442142019

I realized the length for the jacket, shoulder to hem, is 31 inches.

I checked my black suit that i personally own and the shoulder to hem is 29 inches approx.

I feel like Im going to have to "hem" the jacket 2-3 inches sine the jacket i own is just enough to cover the cut area. any longer it would cover over it.

Should i cancel the order or do you guys think i can get away with hemming the jacket?

download (1).png

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
So i ordered this suite 36R here since navy is veyr versatile...and seemed like a good deal around 600 dollars, plus i love the look and color of it: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442142019

I realized the length for the jacket, shoulder to hem, is 31 inches.

I checked my black suit that i personally own and the shoulder to hem is 29 inches approx.

I feel like Im going to have to "hem" the jacket 2-3 inches sine the jacket i own is just enough to cover the cut area. any longer it would cover over it.

Should i cancel the order or do you guys think i can get away with hemming the jacket?

View attachment 960500

Why do you mean by the "cut" area? The quarters?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the jacket covers your butt and the sleeve length and buttoning point look good - you're fine.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
Why do you mean by the "cut" area? The quarters?

like. so the length of the jacket that i orddered is 31 inches from shoulder to hem. the suit that i have at home here, i just measured it and is 29inches. so i am likely going to need to "hem" the jacket 2-3 inches. do you think that would be an issue?

the jacket covers your butt and the sleeve length and buttoning point look good - you're fine.

haha i assumed from the other 2 members it looks to short.

Andy_00

Reaction score
like. so the length of the jacket that i orddered is 31 inches from shoulder to hem. the suit that i have at home here, i just measured it and is 29inches. so i am likely going to need to "hem" the jacket 2-3 inches. do you think that would be an issue?

haha i assumed from the other 2 members it looks to short.

If by ‘hem’ you mean shortern the jacket body, I wouldn’t advise this at all. Sleeves OK, body no (or rarely, and by no more than an inch)

Are you sure you are measuring the length the same way as the store? The difference in length between S and R would normally be about an inch, and sometimes less.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
If by ‘hem’ you mean shortern the jacket body, I wouldn’t advise this at all. Sleeves OK, body no (or rarely, and by no more than an inch)

Are you sure you are measuring the length the same way as the store? The difference in length between S and R would normally be about an inch, and sometimes less.

Yes as in shortern the jacket. The description says from shoulder to hem on the jacket is 31 inches. I checked the specs on the jacket i currently own and length is 29inches.

Its not so much s or r in this case anymore cause the jacket is only available in 36 R. Its on clearance.

Im gonna assume it will need to be shortened by 2 or 3 inches if its gonna be that long: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442142019

It even looks kinda long on the model now that i compare it :/

Im starting to think i may need to cancel the order if you guys think shortening it is not an option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics