• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suit/tie/shirt combination work?

deucedeuce66

Reaction score
Totally new to the world of suits and recently bought a navy blue one from express. Was wondering if the below combination of a dark navy suit, light blue shirt, and navy (tiny checkered with darker blue lines) tie combination work. Going to a dance tonight and want to look sharp. Dress shoes are also black. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally new to the world of suits and recently bought a navy blue one from express. Was wondering if the below combination of a dark navy suit, light blue shirt, and navy (tiny checkered with darker blue lines) tie combination work. Going to a dance tonight and want to look sharp. Dress shoes are also black. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'd say tread carefully before wearing a suit / shirt / tie that are similar shades of blue. I've definitely seen this look done far worse, but I think that outfit would look much better with either a white shirt or a non-blue tie (yellow, burnt orange, burgundy, green, pink, brown, etc.). Personally, I avoid navy ties with navy suits and greyish ties with grey suits. I know it can be done well, but there are so many other color options that will result in less of a monochromatic look.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do a white shirt with a different color dark shade tie like burgundy for example. I would also add a white pocket square or a random color or pattern pocket square that flows well with the suit and tie. You are safe with white though

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that with a solid navy suit you can do just about anything with a shirt and tie, my choice wouldn't be solid blue on solid blue. It doesn't look bad, just a touch boring. Of course, if your intention was to select the most conservative option possible, then you succeeded.

The belt looks a bit chunky to me for a suit,

deucedeuce66

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback! Not sure if this counts for anything, but I've got blonde hair and blueish green eyes. And the tie is a lot more textured than it appears in the picture if that means anything.

I like the idea of going with a burgundy or different color tie. Might have to go to the mall and try to find something. Is there a particular style that would work especially well? Like stripes/dotted?

I have a white shirt that I could also wear with different combinations as well. Totally new to Navy suits so any advice or pictures would be great.

Any additional feedback about the belt etc is also welcomed. Maybe a slimmer black belt?

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether the tie is textured or not, it's still blue on blue on blue, which is a bit boring. If you don't have too many ties, I'd stick to solids for your first few before branching out into other things (I think a navy solid, black solid and grey solid are staples - very subtle texture or pattern is fine too, e.g. grenadine, diamond weave, etc.). Pindots on burgundy can be a great look too though. If you have a sense of how much you'd like to or are willing to spend on a tie, that might help if you're looking for any recommendations.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont take the above advice too harshly. A navy suit with light blue(honestly, a bit lighter blue shirt would be better) and navy tie looks great. Simplicity is elegant. A white shirt with navy or burgundy tie would look nice as well. Definitely don't go with lighter ties (e.g. orange, yellow.) If you want to mix it up, purple/violet, forest green, etc. are good solids. And the previously mentioned colors all look great with patterns like white pindots.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dont take the above advice too harshly. A navy suit with light blue(honestly, a bit lighter blue shirt would be better) and navy tie looks great. Simplicity is elegant. A white shirt with navy or burgundy tie would look nice as well. Definitely don't go with lighter ties (e.g. orange, yellow.) If you want to mix it up, purple/violet, forest green, etc. are good solids. And the previously mentioned colors all look great with patterns like white pindots.

What exactly is wrong with orange and yellow? Both are classic combinations paired with a light blue shirt.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What exactly is wrong with orange and yellow? Both are classic combinations paired with a light blue shirt.

I personally dislike them, although there is nothing inherently wrong with orange or yellow. However, I would argue that there are many better options before orange/yellow.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally dislike them, although there is nothing inherently wrong with orange or yellow. However, I would argue that there are many better options before orange/yellow.

Fair enough. I think a good size tie wardrobe should have a few for variety. I love blue ties (probably around 30% of my tie wardrobe) but there's just no way I could wear them or only a couple of other colors everyday.

scotchman

Reaction score
I can't tell if you have a spot for a pocket square since your hand is covering wear your left breast pocket would be, but after finding a few combinations you like from what has been suggested, try experimenting with a few subtle colored squares to give your suit something a little extra. Most day to day suit wearers have ditched the pocket square, which is a real shame because it adds sophistication to any ensemble.

Balfour

Reaction score
All blue is easier to foul up than, say, navy suit, light blue shirt and burgundy tie.

When it comes to simplicity, there's a fine line between classic elegance and blandness. For example, I would swap the shirt for a bengal light blue stripe and the tie for a slate grenadine.

Foo's blog has a good article on simplicity: http://www.tweedinthecity.com/2013/02/04/not-quite-so-simple/

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't tell if you have a spot for a pocket square since your hand is covering wear your left breast pocket would be, but after finding a few combinations you like from what has been suggested, try experimenting with a few subtle colored squares to give your suit something a little extra. Most day to day suit wearers have ditched the pocket square, which is a real shame because it adds sophistication to any ensemble.

A white linen pocket square is probably best until the OP gets more comfortable with various shirt and tie combinations. Colored pocket squares add yet another detail to think about.

Reaction score
I agree with what many are saying regarding your shirt color. I believe white would look considerably better, especially since you are going to a dance. Wearing too many shades of the same color is never a good idea. I would even go with a brighter colored tie also to make your outfit standout a bit more. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads