• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does This Suit (Somewhat) Fit Me?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Suit 2.jpg Suit 5.jpg Suit 3.jpg Suit 4.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I've recently gotten a job where the dress code is exclusively suits. This is my first full-time job, and as such I purchased 2 suitsupply suits which fit me very well. I also discovered an older suit that I'd bought prior to going to university, which I'd only ever worn around 2/3 times over the course of the following 4 years. Oddly enough, it was quite roomy, so I recently had it tailored with the intention of maintaining it as my 3rd and final suit to start my working life with.

I really think this one's a mixed bag. The pros are that I think it (always) fit me pretty well in the shoulders, which I've learned is the most important part of a suit's fit. I think the sleeve length is now ok, while the fabric along my back has been brought in considerably. I honestly have no idea why I'd bought such a (formerly) baggy suit when I was 18, but I think most of its proportions are OK now. However, compared to my other 2 (newer) suits, the length of this jacket is significantly longer, and the question I wanted to ask is: do you guys think - judging by the photos I've uploaded - that the jacket's length is a deal-breaker in adding it to the collection as the 3rd (and final "essential") suit?

I've been told that it would be almost impossible to shorten it, given how odd the pockets would look in comparison to the rest of the jacket. However, I've also been told (everyone who tells me anything about suits works at suitsupply, btw) that although this fit is a little bit ... less contemporary than what most people my age are wearing, it still 'fits' me well, and that it definitely shouldn't disqualify me from wearing it.

What do you all think? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. If need be, let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to upload to help you come to a decision.

P.S. I'm really sorry about how these images turned out (and about how they're being displayed). It somehow attached 4 and displayed 4 directly. If I'm home tomorrow (Friday) I'll be sure to tidy them up, though I think they should serve their purpose.

Attachments

• Suit 8.jpg
    Suit 8.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Suit 7.jpg
    Suit 7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Suit 6.jpg
    Suit 6.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Suit 1.jpg
    Suit 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
Hey man,

First off, congrats on your new job!

As for the suit, the length definitely seems a little long, but I don't think that makes this suit a complete write off. Outside of suit length, I think the blazer fits you pretty well (although in Suit 7.jpg, there's a weird flare going on? Arching your back too much?)

Personally, I find it hard to add something that doesn't fit well to the rotation, especially when the other alternatives do (your suitsupply suits). Also I'm personally not a huge fan of black suits for works, a dark grey suit works much better imo.

But if you're purely evaluating based on fit, then I'm of the opinion that the suit fits well. To most people the additional suit length will be unrecognizable, I wouldn't have noticed it either unless it was called out.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for answering so quickly!

I ultimately agree with you; no-one's really noticed - and I'm sure that I could keep on wearing this for many years to come without anyone batting an eyelid - but as someone who professes to care about style as much as I do, I honestly groan in the mornings whenever it comes up in the rotation. I think I'm going to wear it once a week (Fridays are casual) for a few weeks before replacing it with something much slimmer in January, I've tried rationalising having a longer fit (I've told people that it looks more 'stately', haha), but it just doesn't fool me.

Not that it matters anymore, but (and it's really tough to see in those photos) the suit is actually an extremely dark navy. My 3 suits are (or I guess, going to be) charcoal, dark navy and a slightly lighter navy.

Your comment did sort of make me pause to reflect on just how little people notice or care about these differences that so many (including myself) on this forum agonise over. But hey, that's part of the fun of it, isn't it?

Katie88

Reaction score
Other than being a bit long, I think it fits well. The length is definitely not a deal breaker and if you've only got a few options, I'd keep it in the rotation. Grats on the job!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most guys wouldn’t care or notice that the jacket is long, heck, that was the style in the 2000’s and I still see plenty of them around. There are rules about where the bottom of the jacket should fall in relation to your hand, maybe worth looking that up, but as I said most people don’t care. Personally, it would drive me nuts, but if it doesn’t bother you too bad I’d say roll with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads