• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suit fit?

MarcDominic

Reaction score
I have a wedding tomorrow, I think it's good enough to get away with for now. But what alterations do you think I may need? I might get the waist taken out a half inch. And the sleeves probably need to be shortened a bit.

Also, there is some shirt showing through the bottom of the suit jacket. Is this an issue? If so, can it be fixed?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the too dark photos -- not a lot of detail can be seen. The shoulders look too wide in the first and third photos -- too much "dimpling" where the sleeves meet the shoulders.

Twotone

vincerich

Reaction score
The simple answer is "no." Here's why:

The jacket looks a little full in the waist.

The pants look a little too long.

The shoulders look too broad.

The sleeves MAY be too long.

The jacket is bordering on being too short.

You're not doing yourself any favors with that ruffled up shirt.

Realistically, the suit wouldn't look bad in a crowd because most men don't wear suits that fit well; the suit's close enough to the norm to be passable, but I wouldn't wear it like that if I were you. Take it to the tailor for a quick turn-around.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Yeah, the shoulders do look wide.
The trousers fit well.

gvibes

Reaction score
Shoulders look quite wide, and that really can't be altered.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
The simple answer is "no." Here's why:

The jacket looks a little full in the waist.

The pants look a little too long.

The shoulders look too broad.

The sleeves MAY be too long.

The jacket is boarding on being too short.

You're not doing yourself any favors with that ruffled up shirt.

Realistically, the suit wouldn't look bad in a crowd because most men don't wear suits that fit well; the suit's close enough to the norm to be passable, but I wouldn't wear it like that if I were you. Take it to the tailor for a quick turn-around.

+1 but I can't tell about the pant length. The break looks good from the front.

Using Technology

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropout5
as others have said, biggest problem is the shoulders but that's an expensive/ time consuming fix. average wedding goers are far less critical than this crowd though. you'll be fine.

Pretty much. Only real problem is shoulders are too wide and you can't fix that. but really, most people probably won't care.

yleb33

Reaction score
i also say no just by the looks of the button fatigue when buttoned

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will not get you any awes here but it looks fine/good. Issues have been stated.

MarcDominic

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your responses. Yeah I see what you guys mean by the shoulders being too wide. I think it looks worse in the back than the front. But that's a 40R and I don't see myself fitting into any suit that's a 38. My actual chest measurement is a 42.5. Maybe that brand/cut is just not right for my body type.

Main thing I was concerned about was the shirt and belt showing through at the bottom of the jacket.

I have PM'd some of you to elaborate on your responses.

I guess I can't do anything now though, since the wedding is today. Suit was cheap anyway. And it's a blue-collared type Philly crowd, so I still think I'll be one of the better dressed people there, haha. People will probably bust my chops for being too metro.

Originally Posted by yleb33
i also say no just by the looks of the button fatigue when buttoned

By button fatigue, you mean too tight when I button it?

Originally Posted by Twotone
It's hard to tell from the too dark photos -- not a lot of detail can be seen. The shoulders look too wide in the first and third photos -- too much "dimpling" where the sleeves meet the shoulders.

Twotone

Do you think a tailor can fix the dimpling? Or would that involve fixing the shoulders which is almost impossible to do

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^re the last question directly above- I do not think a tailor could/you want them to. It is always difficult if possible to alter shoulders. I know that there is no one in my town that I would trust to essentially re-cut the jacket. I will leave the tailoring experts on the forum to chime in why, but as I said, I just do not think it is worth it even if it can be done. THe jacket really does look fine.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcDominic
But that's a 40R and I don't see myself fitting into any suit that's a 38. My actual chest measurement is a 42.5. Maybe that brand/cut is just not right for my body type.
Suits just fit differently around the shoulders. I have seen a 44 with 19 inch shoulders, and a 44 with 22 inch shoulders. You are just going to have to find something runs narrow. There should be something out there.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You have a valid question re the shirt/belt (and possibly tie- you were planning on wearing a tie to a wedding right?) showing up through the parted lower skirts of the jacket. This is one of my pet hates and increasingly common in today's world of nipped waist two button jackets with higher button stances. Solution? Go for three button jackets in future. Button the top two buttons and the front lower vertical edge of the jacket should fall across the middle of the third (unbuttoned) button. No flare out. Keep your hands out of your pockets. Unbutton your jacket when you sit. Job's a good 'un!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads