• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suit fit? (w/ pics)

anli

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Thanks so much for all your help in finding my starter suits. So I ran down to Neiman's Last Call today and lucked out with a navy Zegna in my rather hard-to-find size (36R). Price was right -- $640 after discounts. And the quality and cut feel really great.

As usual, though, there's just one catch, and for me it's that the shoulders hang a tad wide. Part of is because of the moderate padding/roping (I have sloping shoulders); and from Google, it looks like the "Positrano" model is a bit bulkier than Zegna's other cuts. The upside is that the width actually helps to balance my otherwise narrow frame (plus I have a pretty big head, haha), but I don't want to keep the suit if it just looks stupid. Fit, after all, is king.

I'll take it to the tailor either way for his input, but would love to hear what you guys think. Sleeves have to be shorted a tad and waist tapered, I think, but the $640 question is -- are the shoulders acceptable? Pics below (sorry for the lighting):

2644079609_b7d83cb39a.jpg

2644906672_00ec1cc0fa.jpg

2644907216_f2d7c87b8c.jpg

2644081015_9397425369.jpg

2644907996_2c177f137d.jpg

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with your super cropped pictures, it's hard to get a feel for how the suit fits all over.

from what you've posted, the shoulders actually look ok. I'd prefer a little narrower, but not by much.

literasyme

Reaction score
I think they look fine. A shot of the back might tell a different story, but from what's visible in your shots, this looks like a pretty well-fitting jacket. Nice.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
with your super cropped pictures, it's hard to get a feel for how the suit fits all over.
+1 The shoulders actually look all right based on what I can see in the photos. There is a bit of allowance as to how wide you want your shoulders to be. Some will consider it a styling preference. Some brands feature narrow shoulders, some go for a slight overhang. If you are thinking of narrowing the shoulders, it can be done, but you need an extremely competent tailor, preferably one who knows how to make suits, not just alter them. You'll have to be the judge in your case as to whether it's worth it. I had the shoulders narrowed on an Oxxford jacket 1/2" on each side. The operation went very sucessfully. I used a tailor who makes bespoke suits and he charged me about $125. The only reason I did it was because I got a great deal on the suit, and it fit me well otherwise. P.S. If you narrow the shoulders, the sleeves will get shorter also.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd just start lifting weights if I were you. 36R? you can probably gain 5 pounds of upper body muscle in a month and fill that suit out.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoulders do look wide from the front pics, but as commented earlier, a back shot would help make that determination.

anli

Reaction score
Sorry about the pics. OK, just took a couple more zoomed out a bit and from the back. Thanks for all your advice!

2645111150_1b8cf12219.jpg

2644307345_a0ee2694d6.jpg

2645112914_94ca36b342.jpg

2644286123_0e1bfe34b3.jpg

anli

Reaction score
Tlmusic -- thanks for the tip! My tailor is very good, and also does bespoke suits. He's also not inexpensive however, so I'm a bit cautious about narrowing the shoulders. I'd probably rather just buy a different suit (provided I could find one) at that sort of price range.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anli
2644307345_a0ee2694d6.jpg

Yeah....based on this picture alone the jacket seems to be a bit large. There's a lot of extra material in the back and sleeves.

You may want to size down.

tlmusic

Reaction score
In the new pictures, the jacket looks about 1" too long and the shoulders look a bit wide. How is the chest? Maybe the tailor can help you determine if it's in the ballpark. It does look like the jacket may need a lot of alterations. Are you aware of Thick as Thieves suits? I have not seen one in person, but they look good in the photos. A Style Forum member is offering made to measure suits at very reasonable prices. His suits are designed to cater to a slim person such as yourself. He suits are aggressively styled ( I happen to like the look), but I understand he will tone it down if you need something more conservative. http://www.thickasthievesla.com Otherwise, a name brand MTM or bespoke suit could be a good, if a bit more expensive option.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Take this suit back postehaste.

The shoulders are wide, but worse, they're blocky. All that padding is making you look like a hunchback. Part of that may be your posture, but it's not a good look on you.

The back shot (in the second group) is particulary illustrative. You can see how the wide shoulders are forming two large curtain drapes at each scapula. Additionally, the wide shoulder is causing all kinds of weird things to happen in the upper arm. Yuck.

The pants are also baggy.

And from a stylistic standpoint, the hard 3-button stance (i.e. no roll - this is a hard 3-button jacket, not a 3-roll-2.5 or 3-roll-2) along with the wide lapels is just not a good look on a slimmer guy like you. You may be a tough OTR size to find, but you have the slim build that makes a slimmer cut and a narrower, higher-gorged lapel look better. Find something that flatters your figure, not something that so artificially adds bulk.

anli

Reaction score
OK-- thanks for the advice. I agree on the narrower cut -- I did buy a BB Fitzgerald in grey w/ stripes, which is a great suit and a great cut for me. Unfortunately, the navy Fitz I ordered online was awful, prompting this hurried search for a replacement. I'm trying to find something in the $600 range, but in my size is becoming a major headache.

After the Fitz escapade, I'm cautious about buying online (even MTM like Thick as Thieves). Really, I just want something that fits and will last maybe 2-4 years. Well, guess it's time to hit Nieman's again, haha...

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks too long to me. But, as I am fond of pointing out, it is hard to judge the length of a jacket through a wide angle lens. The lens should be normal (or longer), and your feet should be in frame. If your room is small, use a mirror to increase your distance from the camera.
And from a stylistic standpoint, the hard 3-button stance (i.e. no roll - this is a hard 3-button jacket, not a 3-roll-2.5 or 3-roll-2) is just not a good look on anyone.
fixed.
wink.gif
If the top button on a 3 button looks lke it needs to be fastened, choose another jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads