• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this shirt/tie combo work? (new guy with question)

LSU1990

Reaction score
I have this Facconable shirt that is not exactly Gingham, but looks close to it. Can I pull off this stripe, or do I need to go solid Navy knit, or perhaps Navy Churchill polka dot - with the navy blazer? Trousers are grey flannel, in case that matters.

standard.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Too busy. If the tie had fewer and thicker stripes, it would create a more harmonious look.

Topgoon

Reaction score
Looks good. When viewed from more than 2 feet away the shirt will be much tamer.

Macallan

Reaction score
Personally: I agree with Don Carlos, the combo is a bit too busy; the solid navy knit seems a better option

Real-world: Looks fine

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that jkt black or dark blue?

LSU1990

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
that jkt black or dark blue?
it's navy. Poor high ceilings, dim lighting in my closet makes it hard to discern in the photo.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First combo is too busy - if I saw that IRL my snap judgement would be that you'd chosen a shirt and tie in the dark.

The second combo looks good to me, though others may consider it too conservative. IMHO, a pink gingham shirt is never conservative.

Wirr

Reaction score
The second combo is hawt.
I don't like the first tie at all.

tone76

Reaction score
Second combo looks great.

I concur with the general consensus that the first combo is a little too busy. If the purple stripe was the same (or similar) pink to the I Can't Believe It's Not Gingham shirt, it would be far more convincing. My (relatively uneducated) $0.02.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads