• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this overcoat fit me?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was given an this piece, it looks like it hasn't been worn aside from some loose threads on a few buttons. It is a Saks coat, made in USA with a tiny tag that reads "union made" in the inner pocket. To the best of my knowledge, I would say it's early-mid 90s. Any idea who makes it? Note: the Saks label isn't as screwed up as it looks, I just couldn't hold the camera still. I am 100 percent certain it's authentic. Also, please forgive the pictures if they are poor, i didn't really check drape to make sure there weren't any hangups or anyything. I threw on a random blazer underneath for fit purposes.
cimg0440r.jpg
cimg0434wl.jpg
cimg0436g.jpg
cimg0437b.jpg

Kitontini

Reaction score
It looks just a shade too big but it's not a bad fit. A little bit of room isn't a bad thing to have. Otherwise it's a great coat!

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Looks great from the back and a tad large from the front. Not that you couldn't wear it though.

In the front picture it looks as though the right-hand sleeve is shorter than the left one, or your right shoulder hangs lower. (I have the same problem.)

pew

Reaction score
I would say it looks 1 size to big to get that tailored look.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you wearing underneath? It looks closer to too small if all you're wearing is a light sweater.

GBer

Reaction score
Like a tent below your waist

Tony11214

Reaction score
Looks fine. The sleeves are uneven and need to be fixed, unless you didn't have the coat on right in the pictures. Too bad we can't see the length of the coat, can't tell if the length is right if we can't see it.

Tony

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but it definitely needs some tailoring.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to button the bottom two buttons on it for the right fit. But why not have it taken in at a tailor? The fit looks good.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will try and get better pics tomorrow over a full suit. I don't know if I even had anything that I'd wear this with. What would this be appropriate with?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a tad big and should be tailored. Bottom half looks way too big because you haven't buttoned it properly. Button the coat and show us more pics but should look great with a little slimming.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You really need to button the bottom two buttons on it for the right fit. But why not have it taken in at a tailor? The fit looks good.

More important than buttoning the bottom two buttons, as its a DB coat, button the inner button that will pull the inner part of the coat to the right place and not have the button pulling as it is in your picture. You have to first button the inside button then the outsite button. Aside from it fitting better it will also relive pressure off the fabric which can result in either having the button rip or the fabric that the button is sewed onto rip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads