• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this mean I need to go E or even EE?

inviscid

Reaction score
I tried on some proper dress shoes today for the first time. For now, I have a pair of shoes that I have been wearing for a year- they're fairly loose everywhere.

Now, I usually take a 9-10 in sneakers. However, the 8.5 seemed to be the size that didn't slip off on the heel. But when laced, the two edges of the shoe did not touch... they looked like this forum member's shoes:

p1010027f.jpg

instead of looking like these :

2niwjgp.jpg

Does that mean I need to try wider widths?

They did not, however, feel too uncomfortable, although they were hard to get on initially.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it might just be that you have a higher/fatter foot (I'm sure there's a proper term for this)... Width is one thing, foot height is another.

oneade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
it might just be that you have a higher/fatter foot (I'm sure there's a proper term for this)... Width is one thing, foot height is another.

you mean a higher instep.

inviscid

Reaction score
Aha. Thanks for the input, guys– I think I'm going to head over and try them on one more time tomorrow. Is there a way to make sure I'm not cramming my wide foot into a D width shoe? The comfort level should be alarm enough, correct?

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Get the salesman to pull out a Brannock device, which measures your foot size. That's a good start.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inviscid,

I, too, have had this problem.
When I used to buy Florsheim, I gave up on purchasing balmorals from them as the "v" of the laces was so wide apart and if I tried to close it up the top of my foot felt as though it was being crushed. I would always buy EE or even EEE shoes - which often felt too wide for my feet - just so that I could lace the shoes over the top of my foot without having a terribly wide gap. I once tried on an EEE fitting in an AE Park Avenue and I could hardly lace them up. I was later told that they are a particularly "flat" last with a low instep.

However, I was then fortunate enough to be able to try on a pair of Santonis. What a revelation! They were a D width but the "v" of the laces virtually closed up. As a result, I discovered that although my foot is perhaps just slightly wider than average, I can easily fit into most D fittings, as long as they have a high instep.

For what it's worth, I've found that most (but not all) of the Italian makers (notably Santoni and the Tramezza range by Ferragamo) have high insteps. English makers tend to have lower insteps (Alfred Sargent and Churchs seem to be particularly so, in my experience) although I have discovered, to my relief, that I can wear some models by C&J and Edward Green.

Ultimately, it will depend on the shape of your foot and the last of the shoe and how well they combine together. Try on as many different shoes by as many different makers as possible to see how well they fit.

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
I have had a similar experience to Journeyman.

I have a 9D in Park Avenue and the laces look like the first picture you posted. I was not aware that the Park Avenue was made on a flat last (but it makes sense now). I have other shoes in 9D and the laces look like the second picture.

I guess you just need to try different models.

Harrydog

Reaction score
I have found AE to be very low cut across the instep. One of the reasons I avoid them. If you have high insteps, AE will only exaggerate the problem.

I have had no problem closing up the laces on most other makes.

G&G cuts their shoes to leave about a quarter inch of space at the top.

Anymore and I think it looks sloppy. I would not go wide width if it means your foot is swimming around in the shoe.

Sebastian

Reaction score
The first pic is showing my shoes.

I have to say, the specific pair above is a little bit too snug for me. I will try to have my coppler strech it a bit. On the pic, I am wearing them for the first time, so they will also strech a little after some wears.

That said, at most of my shoes the edges don't close exactly.
I was once told, that there should be 0,5 cm, at least, when you buy them new.

The important thing is, that they fit you well. This doesn't mean, the edges have to close totally.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I have discovered, to my relief, that I can wear some models by C&J and Edward Green.

+1

I thought I needed an E width, but I found that the EG 202 regular width (UK "E", which equals a "D" over here) last fits very well, and the balmoral laces closes properly, pretty much like the second photo you posted. C&J and Trickers serve me well, too.

Geoff

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
English makers tend to have lower insteps (Alfred Sargent and Churchs seem to be particularly so, in my experience) although I have discovered, to my relief, that I can wear some models by C&J and Edward Green.

Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
+1

I thought I needed an E width, but I found that the EG 202 regular width (UK "E", which equals a "D" over here) last fits very well, and the balmoral laces closes properly, pretty much like the second photo you posted. C&J and Trickers serve me well, too.

Geoff

Geoff,

Yes, I have the EG 202 last, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads