• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this look OK for prom?

kevinlar

Reaction score
I have my Year 11 prom coming up in a few weeks (16 year old in the UK) and I wanted to get some opinions on my look. I'm a bit unsure of the tie colour shown in the picture. I do like the shirt though, so does the girlfriend so I'd like to keep that! Also, I'd quite like to wear a pocket square, I'm not sure on how you colour match these though, I'd assume you go just off the colour of your tie... Is this correct?

Just to make it clear what I'm asking:

• Does this look ok?
  • Does the tie fit? if not, what would look better?
  • How do you colour match a pocket square?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suit looks ok, sleeves are too long and the pants are bunching in a weird way.

that shirt is hideous, but if you like it, then you need a different tie.

Give us a better pic of the color of the shirt, cause from here I can't even think of a tie that would look good with it.

Oh, and that knot is all wrong.

if you are going to tie a windsor, you need a collar with a wider spread. use a 4IH for this shirt.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as to pocket square, just go with white linen/cotton in a tv fold.

I might catch some **** for this, but how about a white tie. I'm having a hard time picturing it, but it may look good.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suit looks ok, sleeves are too long and the pants are bunching in a weird way.
that shirt is hideous, but if you like it, then you need a different tie.
Give us a better pic of the color of the shirt, cause from here I can't even think of a tie that would look good with it.
Oh, and that knot is all wrong.
if you are going to tie a windsor, you need a collar with a wider spread. use a 4IH for this shirt.

I will disagree with this lot.

The sleeves of the coat are fine, perhaps the short sleeves are too short (half inch should be showing). Grey short is OK and you could get away with the tie as well at this function.

Can't tell about the trousers although there is some odd bunching but attribution is not possible.

Pocket square difficult with the tie, but paisley one would go well with the coat. Go and look at some and see what you think.

kevinlar

Reaction score
Ah, I just realised that in this picture, I'm not actually wearing my belt! the pants are sitting a tiny bit lower than they would normally. I'll definitely take the opinion of those more experienced in suit dressing than I and change the shirt if it's that bad. What colour would you recommend for a prom?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will disagree with this lot.
The sleeves of the coat are fine, perhaps the short sleeves are too short (half inch should be showing). Grey short is OK and you could get away with the tie as well at this function.
Can't tell about the trousers although there is some odd bunching but attribution is not possible.
Pocket square difficult with the tie, but paisley one would go well with the coat. Go and look at some and see what you think.

you may be correct that the shirt sleeves are too short. Looks a bit odd as is.

The tie and shirt combo to me is not very good at all.

I'd keep it simple with the pocket square. Paisley can look a bit affected.

Booter

Reaction score

Ah, I just realised that in this picture, I'm not actually wearing my belt!

Slow down, try to make it thru the first dance before dropping trou.

sspp

Reaction score
Quote:
perhaps the shirt sleeves are too short (half inch should be showing). Grey shirt is OK
FTFY

Perhaps with a lighter coloured shirt (maybe white?) you could get away with a tie that flashy.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about the shirt is that it is too drab. From the picture, it looks to be a gray/lavender color. If you want to keep the shirt color turned down, go with a simple white shirt. If you want to add color, go with something a little more vibrant.

The main problem with the shirt/tie combo is that you don't have enough contrast. If you want a shirt that dark, go with a much darker tie. Here are some options:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-ties/...oven-tie-?q=usddefault||TW732NAV|||||||||||||
Some may not like this, but I do: http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-ties/...e-?q=usddefault||TW731MAG|||||||||||||&ppp=94

themodestman

Reaction score
Wear that tie with a white shirt (like msulinski said). It will pop nicely. Then whatever funky pocket square you want. You already look better than most of the other guys that will be there and clearly have put more thought/care into your appearance. Now have fun!

kevinlar

Reaction score
Wear that tie with a white shirt (like msulinski said). It will pop nicely. Then whatever funky pocket square you want. You already look better than most of the other guys that will be there and clearly have put more thought/care into your appearance. Now have fun!
Yeah, I think I'll go with the white shirt. I'm thinking a white or blue pocket square, a shade or two 'bluer' than the tie. White will probably look better!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue pocket square would be fine - white shirt and white PS would look far too boring for this type of event.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka