• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this look like a Suit Jacket?

clintonf

Reaction score
Hi all, another silly question about a jacket.

I'm not sure whether this jacket is a blazer/sports coat or an ophaned suit jacket. Can anyone shed some light on it?

SportsCoat.jpg

Thanks in advance

Clint

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit jacket because it's a smooth worsted and the buttons match the color of the fabric.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Suit jacket because it's a smooth worsted and the buttons match the color of the fabric.

You learn something new every day. Thanks. I didn't make the association before.

Would it look silly being worn with odd trousers? I'm curious (and no, I don't own it).

It's supposed to be a herringbone pattern, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Many thanks

Clint

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers.

EZ

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers.

EZ

Thanks for your input.

I appreciate it.

Clint

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers. EZ
This.

Hoodyy

Reaction score
I think if you wanted to wear something similar with odd trousers it would have to be a blazer and not a suit jacket.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This.

Originally Posted by Hoodyy
I think if you wanted to wear something similar with odd trousers it would have to be a blazer and not a suit jacket.

Sometimes a person's desire to achieve/possess something outweighs their intelligence.

I think for me, it was one of these ocassions.

I hope that I haven't wasted anyone's time because I really should know better
frown.gif

Cheers

Clint

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
What makes you say that?
laugh.gif

Busted!!

I can't tell if that is sarcastic or not? It is obviously Tom Ford based on the 5 buttons, giant lapels, shoulders...

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
Sometimes a person's desire to achieve/possess something outweighs their intelligence. I think for me, it was one of these ocassions. I hope that I haven't wasted anyone's time because I really should know better
frown.gif
Cheers Clint

I've been there for sure.
laugh.gif
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings. I'm a small timer, so I have to be pretty judicious in what I spend, and learning to find clothes that meet the above criteria has been one of the most important things I've taken away from SF. Someone on here once wrote "Don't buy a piece of clothing no matter how deeply on sale, unless you like it so much you'd be willing to pay full price for it." I agree. Sometimes brand factors in too: "Wow, a Tom Ford, Kiton, Isaia! My size! Eighty percent off! I can afford this!" I've certainly fallen in to that trap too, only to find soon that it really didn't work for me because of the style or fit or color. Don't think you said this jacket was on sale necessarily, but perhaps you really fell for it. Regardless, I think the same criteria apply. My two cents... EZ

clintonf

Reaction score
laugh.gif
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings. I'm a small timer, so I have to be pretty judicious in what I spend, and learning to find clothes that meet the above criteria has been one of the most important things I've taken away from SF. Someone on here wrote once "Don't buy a piece of clothing no matter how deeply on sale, unless you like it so much you'd be willing to pay full price for it." I agree. Sometimes brand factors in too: "Wow, a Tom Ford, Kiton, Isaia! My size! Eighty percent off! I can afford this!" I've certainly fallen in to that trap too, only to find soon that it really didn't work for me because of the style or fit or color. Don't think you said this jacket was on sale necessarily, but perhaps you really fell for it. Regardless, I think the same criteria apply. My two cents... EZ

Wise words. In truth, the jacket is on ebay US currently. It was a fairly decent price (apparently it's NWOT's - Whatever, that means). However, I really was interested to verify whether it could pass as a blazer. The seller *didn't * know whether the jacket was part of a suit. Howver, the good people of Style Forum has set me straight!!! On a separate note. I think that since joining SF, I've been spoilt with some of the stuff I've got here. I doubt that I'd ever pay full price for an item of clothing again. I'm not after the latest season stuff, so I can get pretty much what I want from here (and the eBay). Besides, I have far too much stuff now!!! I don't know what type of person that makes me. However, your point is quite valid. Cheers Clint

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings.

Zingo. Did that with a 99 cent blazer yesterday.

ktrp

Reaction score
As a point of reference, how common are peak lapel sports-jackets?

Unless I'm mistaken, originally most 'odd jackets' were suit jackets worn with a different pair of trousers.

While this is without question a suit jacket, if it had peak lapel, with swapped buttons would it be usable as a (pretty dull fabric wise) odd-jacket? Would the answer be different if it were navy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads