• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does this look like a Suit Jacket?

clintonf

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
6
Hi all, another silly question about a jacket.

I'm not sure whether this jacket is a blazer/sports coat or an ophaned suit jacket. Can anyone shed some light on it?



Thanks in advance

Clint
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
15
Suit jacket because it's a smooth worsted and the buttons match the color of the fabric.
 

clintonf

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by alliswell
Suit jacket because it's a smooth worsted and the buttons match the color of the fabric.

You learn something new every day. Thanks. I didn't make the association before.

Would it look silly being worn with odd trousers? I'm curious (and no, I don't own it).

It's supposed to be a herringbone pattern, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Many thanks

Clint
 

EZETHATSME

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
784
Reaction score
3
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers.

EZ
 

clintonf

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers.

EZ


Thanks for your input.

I appreciate it.

Clint
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Alliswell is correct. I don't think it would look very good with odd trousers. EZ
This.
 

Hoodyy

Active Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I think if you wanted to wear something similar with odd trousers it would have to be a blazer and not a suit jacket.
 

clintonf

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by JayJay
This.

Originally Posted by Hoodyy
I think if you wanted to wear something similar with odd trousers it would have to be a blazer and not a suit jacket.

Sometimes a person's desire to achieve/possess something outweighs their intelligence.

I think for me, it was one of these ocassions.

I hope that I haven't wasted anyone's time because I really should know better


Cheers

Clint
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
35,728
Reaction score
10,644
Originally Posted by clintonf
What makes you say that?


Busted!!


I can't tell if that is sarcastic or not? It is obviously Tom Ford based on the 5 buttons, giant lapels, shoulders...
 

EZETHATSME

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
784
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by clintonf
Sometimes a person's desire to achieve/possess something outweighs their intelligence. I think for me, it was one of these ocassions. I hope that I haven't wasted anyone's time because I really should know better
Cheers Clint

I've been there for sure.
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings. I'm a small timer, so I have to be pretty judicious in what I spend, and learning to find clothes that meet the above criteria has been one of the most important things I've taken away from SF. Someone on here once wrote "Don't buy a piece of clothing no matter how deeply on sale, unless you like it so much you'd be willing to pay full price for it." I agree. Sometimes brand factors in too: "Wow, a Tom Ford, Kiton, Isaia! My size! Eighty percent off! I can afford this!" I've certainly fallen in to that trap too, only to find soon that it really didn't work for me because of the style or fit or color. Don't think you said this jacket was on sale necessarily, but perhaps you really fell for it. Regardless, I think the same criteria apply. My two cents... EZ
 

clintonf

Senior Member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
896
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I've been there for sure.
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings. I'm a small timer, so I have to be pretty judicious in what I spend, and learning to find clothes that meet the above criteria has been one of the most important things I've taken away from SF. Someone on here wrote once "Don't buy a piece of clothing no matter how deeply on sale, unless you like it so much you'd be willing to pay full price for it." I agree. Sometimes brand factors in too: "Wow, a Tom Ford, Kiton, Isaia! My size! Eighty percent off! I can afford this!" I've certainly fallen in to that trap too, only to find soon that it really didn't work for me because of the style or fit or color. Don't think you said this jacket was on sale necessarily, but perhaps you really fell for it. Regardless, I think the same criteria apply. My two cents... EZ

Wise words. In truth, the jacket is on ebay US currently. It was a fairly decent price (apparently it's NWOT's - Whatever, that means). However, I really was interested to verify whether it could pass as a blazer. The seller *didn't * know whether the jacket was part of a suit. Howver, the good people of Style Forum has set me straight!!! On a separate note. I think that since joining SF, I've been spoilt with some of the stuff I've got here. I doubt that I'd ever pay full price for an item of clothing again. I'm not after the latest season stuff, so I can get pretty much what I want from here (and the eBay). Besides, I have far too much stuff now!!! I don't know what type of person that makes me. However, your point is quite valid. Cheers Clint
 

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I've been there for sure.
I am finally learning that no matter how much something is on sale, if it's not a item I really am going to love, that will fit perfectly, and that I'll end up wearing, then it isn't worth any amount of savings.


Zingo. Did that with a 99 cent blazer yesterday.
 

ktrp

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
447
Reaction score
10
As a point of reference, how common are peak lapel sports-jackets?

Unless I'm mistaken, originally most 'odd jackets' were suit jackets worn with a different pair of trousers.

While this is without question a suit jacket, if it had peak lapel, with swapped buttons would it be usable as a (pretty dull fabric wise) odd-jacket? Would the answer be different if it were navy?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,097
Messages
9,191,945
Members
193,051
Latest member
MrFlair313

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top