• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this jacket fit?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had this jacket for a while, and really like it, but recently I've been starting to wonder whether it fits properly at the shoulders. The chest, waist, and sleeves are all fine. See the attached pictures below. Please bear in mind that it is a cotton jacket, so some of the creases and wrinkles may be due to that.

EDIT: I realise that it's not perfect, but perfection is expensive and not really feasible on a student budget. I'm more interested to know whether it's acceptable or simply too big.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are a bit wide, and a bit built up. But are you standing naturally there? It looks like you're pushing your chest out and pulling your shoulders back, which might be exacerbating the issues. Clothes should look good when you're standing naturally, not when you're trying to take a picture for the internet. Of course, many of us (myself included) tend to stiffen up when taking a picture.

For example, this is me stiffening up and throwing my shoulders back:

... and this is me standing more naturally and relaxed, in the same coat.

I'm on a student budget myself, and I've found that I have better luck thrifting than buying new.

Also, either your coat sleeves are a tough short, or your shirt sleeves are a touch long.

Reaction score
Thanks - I see your point about stance. I'm standing naturally below:

I recognise that it's definitely a little wide around the shoulders, but how bad would you say this is? Wearable or too far?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics