• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this collaboration make sense?

Mike89LX

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for several months and decided to join up, at the age of 24 I've for some reason only recently become interested in my style of dress. I won't lie I don't have an abundance of money to throw at the hobby, but I pride myself on looking decent and keeping the price reasonably low.

I know the cardinal rule of posting a thread on a forum is to search and see if your question has been asked before, but after hours of looking I couldn't really find what I was seeking. Basically I'll just lay it out there and ask what the consensus is on this combination of colors. Keep in mind these are just some work pants I happened to have on and this is the only blue coat I own, I'm more concerned about if the scheme works. I'd appreciate any feedback and I hope to learn more now that I'm able to ask questions
worship.gif

You can click the picture to make it bigger, the coat looks black in that light though, not sure if that will skew opinions. It is a very dark blue in person though

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm, let's see.

Blue jacket/blazer with blue shirt and looks like khaki pants.

Now that's as basic as it gets, and yes, it'll work. It's boring, but it'll work.

Now go get yourself some argyle socks and a pair of brown loafer.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
umm, let's see.

Now that's as basic as it gets, and yes, it'll work. It's boring, but it'll work.

Now go get yourself some argyle socks and a pair of brown loafer.

Hmm, thanks for the response. If the last line was sarcasm you'll have to let me know. I do understand that it's basic, but I was told by another person that it didn't look good or "match." I of course disagreed, but it planted the seed of doubt in my head, and as I said I'm brand new to the game

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes it works, but your blazer (or suit jacket since it looks to have contrasting stripes) is too big, pants too loose and shirt collar doesn't stand up well.

button downs tend to stand up better when wear open necked.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
yes it works, but your blazer (or suit jacket since it looks to have contrasting stripes) is too big, pants too loose and shirt collar doesn't stand up well.

What specifically makes you say the coat is too big? I kind of agree but the gentleman where I bought it from said it fit fine, of course he was probably making a commission so who knows. The shirt I agree, couldn't get the collar to act right, but like I said I was more looking for comment on the combo. The pants I disagree on, maybe I'm pushing my hands forward in my pocket? What makes them look too big in your opinion?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats this "scheme" you speak of? You said neither the jacket nor the pants are actually part of the scheme, you just threw them on for the pic. Do you mean the blue shirt plus the brown belt?

By the way the combo has a name, it's called the Andy Bernard

andy.jpg

Mike89LX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Whats this "scheme" you speak of? You said neither the jacket nor the pants are actually part of the scheme, you just threw them on for the pic. Do you mean the blue shirt plus the brown belt?

By the way the combo has a name, it's called the Andy Bernard

andy.jpg

From my original post:

Originally Posted by Mike89LX
Basically I'll just lay it out there and ask what the consensus is on this combination of colors.

What I posted looks nothing like that, so again, if you're going for sarcasm you're going to have to hold my hand for the first couple of months. I didn't ask if what I posted was going to revolutionize the men's style game, please remember that

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants don't look too big. They do look unflattering. Wider from the knees down would be better.

There is no way to tell from the picture if the jacket is too big.

The belt looks too narrow, although the belt loops don't seem to allow for much width.

The colors and styles work together, yes.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike89LX

What I posted looks nothing like that, so again, if you're going for sarcasm you're going to have to hold my hand for the first couple of months. I didn't ask if what I posted was going to revolutionize the men's style game, please remember that

We are very snarky here, just like most forums and newbies usually get the brunt of it. Your colors are pretty much classic conservative and when you where something like that you run the risk of it being bland or medicore. The blue sportcoat is a foundation piece for anyone that dresses this way. The way people on this forum attempt to take something like your outfit to the "next level" is by concentrating on fit and quality of the garments.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw 'collaboration' in the thread title, I expected something like 'Thom Browne for Brioni.'

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Colors work. Its boring though. It also looks sloppy. I dont know if its just me but i hate it when people leave their jackets unbuttoned! That doesnt give you a very flattering silhouette.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

+1

shirt may be too big, as well.
bad stance in the pic makes it hard to tell for sure.

jag

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
You have to comb through the manner in which some responses are posted here and get to the substance.

Lee summed it up best...

Originally Posted by lee_44106

The blue shirt and khaki pants combo is as basic as it gets and throwing on the blue blazer keeps it just as basic, just slightly more dressy. I've always looked at the blue shirt and khaki pants combo as a "uniform" almost. It's become a staple in too many guy's wardrobes. In response to your question, does it work? Yes. But it's unimaginative and is the exact same thing so many other guys wear. I would never go so far as to blame any guy for wearing this combination. After all, they're doing what almost every guy did before them and are doing so thinking it's safe. But that's what makes it boring and is particularly why you should expand your fashion sense.

In regards to fit, some aspects are probably due to the photo and aren't a problem. But I would just take them into a tailor. You'll learn about proper fit from your tailor and keep that in mind when you go shopping. Remember that a tailor is your friend.

Personally, I'm not a fan of khakis in general, but that's just my opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously depending on where you work and what your personal style is.

First, let me commend you. You're in your early twenties and taking care in your appearance. That's the first step. What I would suggest is building a basic wardrobe of a few dress shirts, dress pants, and a couple of jackets or blazers. Start with a couple of grey dress pants and experiment more with different colours and patterns of shirts. You could buy another coloured jacket or blazer, perhaps grey, and just get your blue one tailored. Eventually you'll find your style and expand.

A good suggestion is to find a good quality $500 suit. (Oh boy, some SFers will be all over this...) Truthfully, you're at a stage where you don't have a lot of money to spend and judging by your picture it doesn't appear that your office is suit and tie. So if you need to buy new dress pants, why not just buy a suit and you'll also have another coloured jacket added to your wardrobe? You'll have a suit when you need one and dress pants when you don't. Also even if your office isn't that formal, what's to stop you from wearing a suit sans tie? You might think you're over dressed, but I bet a lot of people will be impressed seeing a young guy dress well.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's better to start from a relatively conservaive "it works but isn't brave" point and experiment from there, rather than strting at the "it's unique and doesn't work" end, but what do I know - I'm English
wink.gif

slowly try replacing one garment with something bolder and see how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads