• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this Barbour jacket look too big on me?

dthomas86

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and quite rubbish at cloth sizing. I've recently bought a Beaufort in sizes 38 and 40 to send one back. The 40 was way too big and thought I settled with the 38 (my chest size is 38 but I wear a 40 - as it is a skinny fit Harris Tweed jacket which I think is a really good fit).

I am still undecided as whether the 38 is too large and whether I should send it back and get a 36, so I have taken a photo for you guys to aid me.

Excuse the mess in the photo. It was taken in my girlfriend's mum's art and craft room ha
[/IMG]

Last edited:

dthomas86

Reaction score
Sorry can anyone give me any advice as I will have to send the jacket back if a lower size would be recommended by you guys.

Ps Sorry for being a pain.

Last edited:

emidyl

Reaction score
my $.02

sleeves look ok. but I always gauge a jacket fit by:
1)seeing how much I can pull the jacket away from my chest to determine the amount of volume there is, and

2)I always wear something like a hoodie or sweater of some sort to get a better idea of above 1.

YMMV but try posting up in SW&D, probably get more response as opposed to classic

dthomas86

Reaction score
Thank you Emidyl for your feedback. How can I repost this to SW&D as you suggested?

chizhang001001

Reaction score
it looks fine, if you size down to 36, the sleeve is gonna be too short. And the coat is designed to be roomy

Splash Pitman

Reaction score
Looks ok but remember the rule of thumb that if you can fit a small child in the front size down .

SawdustCaesar

Reaction score
I also think the sleeves will be too short on the 36.

38 looks great as a classic menswear piece.

Beaufort is a traditionally fitting piece of outerwear designed for layering - I mean shirt, sweater, even a sport coat could all go together underneath it.

Perhaps look at one of Barbours more fashion related lines if you want a short, slim look instead.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Looks perfect to me. Barbours are functional and comfortable. I bought my first one, when I was a consultant traveling 4 days a week. Nothing beats the upper pockets to rest your arms and all the other pockers to store all kinds of stuff, money, phone, charger, ticket, headset.....

In fact I bought a smaller size 5 years later, which fits if I just stand, but gets too tight when I stuff in any pruchases from a Saturday morning stroll.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics