• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does the social set of an industry affect one's career?

KPO89

Reaction score
Trying to think of a simple way to put this but I am not sure there is.

When I say social set I mean the stereotypical personalities of the driving individuals. Does an industry that is lead by technical and introverted engineers make it difficult for a naturally defined marketer who is extroverted and non-technical to succeed. I would assume yes.

This is all based on stereotypes of course which I would believe stereotypical personalities to be a vital part of ones career choice.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father had a mentor (this in medicine), who said "what you do is not what you're good at, it's what you are."

Takeaway: there are a lot of guys with good skills for surgery whose personality pushed them to radiology.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Trying to think of a simple way to put this but I am not sure there is.

When I say social set I mean the stereotypical personalities of the driving individuals. Does an industry that is lead by technical and introverted engineers make it difficult for a naturally defined marketer who is extroverted and non-technical to succeed. I would assume yes.

This is all based on stereotypes of course which I would believe stereotypical personalities to be a vital part of ones career choice.

1. yes, there are industries where all the leadership fits a certain stereotype. that happens.

2. every industry needs sales people, marketing people, accountants, etc, and they will fit the personality types that fit those jobs.

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
Yes and no ... it's generally people who can navigate multiple worlds who can get ahead. It's a respect game, sales people respect people with people skills and who understand technical skills and vice versa with technical people.

Sales can't get anything made without manufacturing and vice versa without the skills to speak both worlds it's hard to get ahead in leadesrship in either.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
working in big oil so not sure if my opinion is suited for engineers across the board but here goes

1. the stereotype of introverted engineer is over played. There are more introverted people than, say, marketing, becuase being an extrovert isnt the core skill, but i dont think there are more introverts than the general public.

2. marketing your skills is important in any career as no one is sitting around analysing every persons performance and looking to promote people. the squeeky gate gets the grease etc. this may be more prevalent in big companies than in small practices.

3. engineering has some very fundemental skills which must be hard learnt in the early years of your career. other engineers will smell your bullshit a mile off if you over promote yourself. i suspect there is much more of a ballancing act than other careers where its a balls out excersize in self promotion. dont alienate your collegues because it will catch up with you.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Levator Superioris
Yes and no ... it's generally people who can navigate multiple worlds who can get ahead. It's a respect game, sales people respect people with people skills and who understand technical skills and vice versa with technical people.

Sales can't get anything made without manufacturing and vice versa without the skills to speak both worlds it's hard to get ahead in leadesrship in either.

I agree that the arm needs the eye but what I am talking about is an industry where the mid to upper level management are mainly engineers and the other classification of employees makes up about 30% of the company and those 30% are not seeming to go anywhere fast.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
I agree that the arm needs the eye but what I am talking about is an industry where the mid to upper level management are mainly engineers and the other classification of employees makes up about 30% of the company and those 30% are not seeming to go anywhere fast.

you need to be specific. are you an accountant? then, no, you won't go very far. are you sales? even engineers understand that they need sales people. but you can be the best positioned person in your field in that industry - you might nver be the CEO, but you could be the VP of sales. that is basically what the options are. on the other hand, being in a industry where everyone is like you can be hard to get ahead, as well.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it does. In politics, 90% of people are ass-kissing douchebags. That's how you get ahead!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I think not. Presidents tend to have a fair amount of sex, Conne on the other hand has none, well except with his hand.

You've never made a funny joke.

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
back to the topic, rarely are well run companies only run by individuals with one type of background; for that matter there are a mariad of engineering disciplines that think completely differently.

There are sales engineers who are basically sales people who leverage engineering backgrounds to show technical powress and call bullshit on competitors in the eyes of their customers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads