• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does the prohibition against black suits in the day include black pinstriped suits?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record I dont agree with not wearing black during the day.

jagass

Reaction score
I think you should obey the rules...If it is a rule then do it...
0415740eaa4d9decbc8da001d3fd805f.gif

Eccentric

Reaction score
I once heard this explained as a particularly egregious violation of decorum. I believe that a large part of why a black suit is improper (aside from looking bad in sunlight), is that black is not for business. Stripes, on the other hand, are a mark of a business suit. Combining the two, then, creates a sort of sartorial Chimera that is best avoided.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Businesssmen in black and white vertical striped suits often exchange them for black and white horizontal striped suits.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Businesssmen in black and white vertical striped suits often exchange them for black and white horizontal striped suits.

That is if they don't first take a cue from their stock prices and jump out of a window.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Interesting that you say this because I think the public associates this suit (whether black, grey or navy) with the media, even political staffs more than with the business world. In England the black suit with the white chalk stripe is the traditional "old money look".

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
In England the black suit with the white chalk stripe is the traditional "old money look".

Are you sure that these are indeed black suits and not midnight blue?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
In England the black suit with the white chalk stripe is the traditional "old money look".

I remember reading the black with white chalk stripe suit was the classic City of London banker look.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the right pinstripes can give a black suit the sheen it needs to not look dull during the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads