• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does starch really damage clothes?

bigbucky

Reaction score
I see this repeated all the time but never with any real evidence. They are just carbohydrates, how are they causing so much damage? Someone once had a shirt wear out quickly and blamed it on starch when it could have been bad dry cleaning, hot water laundering, or any number of other things that are probably associated with "heavy starch". I call shenanigans. In fact, the starch molecules actually coat the cotton fibers and prevent them from wearing out too quickly. See, it's easy to make up a good story when there is no evidence to support it one way or another.

/starch rant

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does starch really damage clothes?
No.

/thread

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbucky
I see this repeated all the time but never with any real evidence. They are just carbohydrates, how are they causing so much damage? Someone once had a shirt wear out quickly and blamed it on starch when it could have been bad dry cleaning, hot water laundering, or any number of other things that are probably associated with "heavy starch". I call shenanigans. In fact, the starch molecules actually coat the cotton fibers and prevent them from wearing out too quickly. See, it's easy to make up a good story when there is no evidence to support it one way or another.

/starch rant

I have a feeling you starch your shirts.
smile.gif

majorhancock

Reaction score
As a starch fan, I do starch my shirts. Not with scattershot Niagara spray starch, but the real, right way:soaking in French rice-based laundry starch, hanging until damp, and then ironing.

I don't have any empiric evidence for the longevity of starched versus unstarched shirts, but I will say that "ring around the collar" is much less of a problem with starched shirts, since the "neck dirt" (who knew necks were so damn dirty?) goes onto the starch, which is then washed away with the next trip to the laundry. That's why they used to make detachable collars.

I love the crisp feel of a starched shirt. Just my 2 cents.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
You're like me. But I trust the drycleaner. A shirt w/o starch is limp, wrinles easily and looks sloppy. Starch keeps it crisp throughout the day. If the hard collars bother you, think MTM. Or an inexpensive collar extender accessory.

As far as damaging the shirt: Wear, and dirt, and skin oils and washing and heat damage a shirt. Shirts are disposable items. They wear out. Try having many shirts. Nice variety and they all last longer.

Too bad you can't get the collars and cuffs turned anymore. Oh, for those of you who are younger, in my dad's day you could take any shirt to the cleaner and they would detach and reverse the collar and cuffs. Many housewives did this at home. That's when women didn't have to work and stayed home. Few women even know how to sew on a button anymore. But that's the times.

By the way, guys - how many of you could sew on brace buttons on a pair of pants? The drycleaners charge $2 a button and $2 to sew each on. That's $12 for a single pair of trousers.

Well, that is your first mistake...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making the fabric stiff causes it to abrade faster, for obvious reasons. As to whether starch causes some kind of subatomic instability in cotton, or whatever, I have no idea.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My dry cleaner is Korean, very nice, very efficient and reasonably priced. And I'm tired of doing my own shirts. I have no wife, I'm divorced and I don't hire a housekeeper. What do you do?
smile.gif

I have no wife, no housekeeper, but I own a washing machine and an iron. My shirts always come out better when I do them myself.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also send out 7-10 shirts a week. But I do all my own pressing of suits and pants. Drycleaning damages a suit. A good suit, unless it is stained, should not be drycleaned more than once or twice a year, that is, if it's not your only suit. Typically, I will put a fresh crease and a roll in the lapels every time I wear a suit. 5 min work and free.

Free except for the Mwh's.
wink.gif

stubloom

Reaction score
l'll admit that I haven't, as yet, conducted my own scientifically valid, peer reviewed study of the long term impact of starch on cotton fibers. But as the owner of a high-end dry cleaner and shirt laundry, we handle over 50,000 shirts a year. Over a 20 year period that's a lot of shirts. So I have an perspective on the starch vs no starch debate. That having been said, I disagree with 2 comments so far: 1. Starch is just a carbohydrate. Most shirt laundries use synthetic starch, not natural starches like wheat, corn or rice. Synthetic starches bond to shirt fibers like multiple coats of paint, don't dissolve in the washer wheel, and cause shirts to abrade quite quickly. 2. Starch minimizes ring around the collar. Starch may be a factor but it would be last on the list. Soiling of the collar is caused by an individual's biological attributes (body oil, perspiration, etc.), toiletries (moisturizing cream, cologne, etc.), proximity of collar to the neck (open neck vs buttoned up, loose fit vs tight fit, etc.) and, most importantly, circumstances of wearing (one time vs multiple times, office environment vs outdoor environment, etc.). A November SF post covered the starch vs no starch debate in much greater detail... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=208626

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
l'll admit that I haven't, as yet, conducted my own scientifically valid, peer reviewed study of the long term impact of starch on cotton fibers. But as the owner of a high-end dry cleaner and shirt laundry, we handle over 50,000 shirts a year. Over a 20 year period that's a lot of shirts. So I have an perspective on the starch vs no starch debate. That having been said, I disagree with 2 comments so far:

1. Starch is just a carbohydrate.

Most shirt laundries use synthetic starch, not natural starches like wheat, corn or rice. Synthetic starches bond to shirt fibers like multiple coats of paint, don't dissolve in the washer wheel, and cause shirts to abrade quite quickly.

2. Starch minimizes ring around the collar.

Starch may be a factor but it would be last on the list. Soiling of the collar is caused by an individual's biological attributes (body oil, perspiration, etc.), toiletries (moisturizing cream, cologne, etc.), proximity of collar to the neck (open neck vs buttoned up, loose fit vs tight fit, etc.) and, most importantly, circumstances of wearing (one time vs multiple times, office environment vs outdoor environment, etc.).

A November SF post covered the starch vs no starch debate in much greater detail...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=208626

nothing like getting it from the pro!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about durability concerns, but heavy starch can definitely make the cloth look shinier than one might like.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Making the fabric stiff causes it to abrade faster, for obvious reasons. As to whether starch causes some kind of subatomic instability in cotton, or whatever, I have no idea.
This is the first rational explanation I've seen. But I still suspect the effect is minimal compared to the warnings I've seen written on this forum.
l'll admit that I haven't, as yet, conducted my own scientifically valid, peer reviewed study of the long term impact of starch on cotton fibers.
I am in the process of obtaining a grant for the study of evidence-based sartorialism as we speak.
Most shirt laundries use synthetic starch, not natural starches like wheat, corn or rice. Synthetic starches bond to shirt fibers like multiple coats of paint, don't dissolve in the washer wheel, and cause shirts to abrade quite quickly.
Fair enough, I am only familiar with the consumer products. Jeez, what could be cheaper than cornstarch. shudder
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there is no better feeling then taking a high end fabric that is soft and wonderful and making it feel stiff.
Put on a turtleneck, hippie!
tongue.gif
But there is something about a crisp collar on a dress shirt. When I haven't used starch on the collar it just looks limp.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there is no better feeling then taking a high end fabric that is soft and wonderful and making it feel stiff.

Totally! Stiff cotton
eek.gif

I was thinking why don't starchers just wear 100% polyester shirts, the ones with thick aramid like fibers. Or better yet what about a steel belted shirt! radially ofcourse
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads