• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Sizing Down Apply To All Jeans?

stuartSan

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a while.

We don't have nice brands like APC or Nudies here, and Levi's here are pretty crappy too, with no fitting jeans (they have loads of relaxed cuts).

So I do most of my denim shopping at Topman. Affordable and nice. I saw this great pair of jeans on 50% offer and grabbed it, even though the size was -2 of what I usually wear. I usually get W30/L30.

They're pretty tight now - uncomfortable, but not killing me. So I guess my true size must be 29.

I have a few other Topman jeans that haven't really stretched, so I'm wondering if denim stretching is a universal truth, or if anyone else that buys Topman jeans would care to verify this. Thanks!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No not at all. depends on the jean. All cotton stretches and shrinks to different degrees.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i usually just buy my usual waist.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. You cannot patently say that you should size down in all brands. Some are known (read: APC / Nudie) for their stretching and as such, people that want slimmer fits size down.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
FAIK, sizing down is only really recommended for APCs - about 2 sizes, and Nudies - depends on the model.

Otherwise you run the risk of looking gay.
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Reaction score
Diesel it's recommended. I don't think you need to size down for these:
aka_luxury_jeans4.jpg

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
Best to do as much research as possible on the jeans you're interested in and if possible try them on before purchase. This may be tricky if you live somewhere with few outlets so make sure you search here and prob Superfuture too.

As stated, they all stretch but by different degrees and it also depends on the kind of look you want to achieve.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends more on the fit that you're looking for. I sized up one on APC new standards and I like them. I sized down two on my APC rescues and I like them too. Different fit for different style.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
It depends more on the fit that you're looking for. I sized up one on APC new standards and I like them. I sized down two on my APC rescues and I like them too. Different fit for different style.

Wow someone who sized up on new standards. Have they not stretched so they're now unwearable ? I sized down 1 on mine and find them restrictive in the crotch area so was thinking about getting another pair in my true size.

Brian SD

Reaction score
New Standards seem to be nutbusters across the board, whether or not you have sized down on them. I have a pair of size 30 New Standards (which is quite big for me, especially considering APCs sizing), and they really hurt my sack.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
New Standards seem to be nutbusters across the board, whether or not you have sized down on them. I have a pair of size 30 New Standards (which is quite big for me, especially considering APCs sizing), and they really hurt my sack.

What size do you normally wear in jeans Brian ?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
What size do you normally wear in jeans Brian ?
29 in most brands, occasionally 28 and occasionally 30.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow someone who sized up on new standards. Have they not stretched so they're now unwearable ?
If you aren't four sizes bigger than the jeans you buy, your jeans will not stretch four sizes.

stuartSan

Reaction score
I love Topman, but they only have 28 or 30, and I think I'm 29, judging by how I fit.

I don't like too much space at my crotch/thigh area because it makes me look a little sloppy, IMO.

The jeans have stretched to accomodate me better, but there's one thing I've noticed..

Does anyone else ever get that buttonfly bulge when you size down? I guess somehow I've stretched the jeans in a wrong way, and now the second buttonfly looks like it's slightly bulging open. Nothing too serious, just an annoyance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads