• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does Shantung silk last long?

NathanP

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to buy a waistcoat and I want it to last for a good amount of time. It's partly made of silk. To my untrained eyes, it looks like Shantung Silk which is supposed to look 'beat down'. I like this look a lot but I'm worried it will get worse and look even rougher over time. Does anyone have experience with Shantung(/silk blended with linen and cotton)? Or can someone provide me with info on it?

Thank you in advance!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silk is a strong and durable fiber.
shantung silk is not meant to look “beat down”; the irregularity is introduced when the fabric is woven and does not increase with wear. I can’t speak to this blend, however.

johng70

Reaction score
Like anything else, the most damage you can do to it is drycleaning. So, drycleaning should be done very sparsely. If you're drycleaning it 6 times a year, it will look bad after a couple years.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 83 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 137 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 53 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 10 2.1%