• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Saville Row (the brand name) mean NOT Saville Row (The row itself?)

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I remember back in my department store days they sold a "Saville Row" brand and the adults were all 'oh my god' saville row awesome!' Now I realize that it sounds rather lame. If you are actually a Saville Row business, why call yourself by the street you are on?

So is the Saville Row brand really a lame knock off?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sassyfras
So is the Saville Row brand really a lame knock off?

What do you think?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, Macy's sold "Savile Row" shirts. They were horrific sateen cotton shirts that I used to wear in high school. Wouldn't know if they are around anymore.

It kind of reminds me of many companies who have the term "Bespoke" or some play on the word in their name, however don't make anything bespoke, or MTM for that matter. Also, anybody who does wear bespoke wouldn't have the slightest interest in these brands either.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I actually bought a "Savile Row" shirt just half a year ago. The fit is great, it's a slim fit, and the collar is decently cut. In most other aspects there's not much good about that shirt. But maybe worst of all, it took them at least one month to deliver the shirt, as they were implementing a "rigorous quality control process".

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
as they were implementing a "rigorous quality control process".

"Okay we had to make one refund three years ago due to mistake in shipping. So the first person looks at the box and places a check mark if they think it is right. Then a different person checks the order and places a squiggle on the other side of the packing slip.... whatdda you mean we are out of boxes????"

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought an Oxxsfort suit. Is it fully-canvassed(?)

dv_indian

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a Saville Row brand shirt from Macy's. Back then I didn't even know StyleForum but I was vaguely aware that Saville Row is a prestigious name. In my mind Macy's was one of the nicer stores at that time. So I believed that they were actually selling something genuine.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
There is a Savile Row Co. in London.
They sell shirts.
Don't think it has any real connection with The Row.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
There is a Savile Row Co. in London.
They sell shirts.
Don't think it has any real connection with The Row.

Their website says they're based at 40 Savile Row. Not that a Savile Row address alone really proves they're any good; after all, Abercrombie & Fitch have a shop on Savile Row too
confused.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can anyone fill me on the connection to Julius Caesar, and really, the whole gens Julia?

pPETS-3763776t400.jpg

Thank you.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads