• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Propecia work at slowing hair loss?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have searched for "Propecia" and have read a few threads.... but I have not gotten the specific answer i am looking for.

The hair on the crown of my head is getting very thin. I still have hair there, but relative to the rest of my scalp it is most certainly on its way out.

I used Rogaine for a few years and it helped to maintain the hair on the crown of my head. However, i stopped using Rogaine in September. I got so sick of having to apply a foam or a liquid on a daily basis. That is such a pain. Once I stopped using Rogaine, my hair loss accelerated. Their phrase "use it or lose it" is 100% true.

I am looking for medical options that do not require a topical lotion or solution (looking for a pill). A pill is my only option at this point. I do not believe any of the hair restoration procedures work well enough to consider at this time.

Does Propecia work well? I am not looking for miracles. But I would not mind paying good money to stop the hair loss or even have some regrowth.

I shave my hair off and it looks pretty ok. But if I can take a pill that helps to restore a bit of hair on the crown, that is something i would be interested in investigating.

Thanks for your info and opinions.

Tardek

Reaction score
The answer you're looking for is "it depends".

The answer from me: "Kind of but not really". You're better off getting a quality transplant, methinks.

skunkworks

Reaction score
The answer from me: most likely it will. It has decent success at stopping frontal hair loss, but it is very effective at the crown.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for 2 years now and it does appear to slow the loss of hair on top.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what you're looking for....yeah, do it.

SVS

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Rogaine helped me regrow some hair and prevent some additional loss. However, it wasn't enough for me. (In medical terms, I didn't feel the result was cosmetically acceptable enough.)

I can't say for sure that Propecia will work for me. The research looks very promising. I regret not starting on Propecia the second I noticed my hair thinning.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
Nioxin completely stopped my hair loss in front.

Then I ran out.

Don't be like me. Stock up.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Propecia works for me, my dermatologist says I'm one of his few success stories. I've been on it for like 6 years. ***** expensive though since insurance doesn't cover it.

hacksul

Reaction score
Get finasteride and a pill splitter. Propecia is just marketed finasteride at 3x the price. Finasteride comes in 5mg so splitting into 4 pieces does the trick.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pharmacist told me to do that. ^^

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need a prescription for this? I doubt my general practicioner will prescribe me anything like this. actually, she will probably think i am nuts.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you do, most likely from a dermatologist.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks... how do i get a dermatologist?

does anyone know a dermatologist in nyc? i am clueless with this type of thing

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But finasteride in all forms is a prescription drug still, right?

Originally Posted by hacksul
Get finasteride and a pill splitter. Propecia is just marketed finasteride at 3x the price. Finasteride comes in 5mg so splitting into 4 pieces does the trick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads