• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does pigskin shoe lining eat socks?

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
I keep getting holes in my socks when I wear my custom-made shoes.

I requested a pigskin lining because I felt it would last longer than cloth or synthetic.

but about once a week my socks are get a hole in the heel or toe.

I have already investigated whether toenails could be the cause.

anyone know about pigskin?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c_bourgeois
I keep getting holes in my socks when I wear my custom-made shoes. I requested a pigskin lining because I felt it would last longer than cloth or synthetic. but about once a week my socks are get a hole in the heel or toe. I have already investigated whether toenails could be the cause. anyone know about pigskin?
I used pigskin for lining for years...but it wasn't just any pigskin. When a fire broke out at the tannery where I was getting it i quit using pigskin rather than switch to another tanner. Pigskin is reputed to be the most sweat resistant of all leathers. And all that I ever used was smooth and soft. It did not eat socks. That said, I suppose if the hide has not been de-haired properly or if there are residual chrome salts, it could be slightly abrasive.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep getting holes in my socks when I wear my custom-made shoes.

I requested a pigskin lining because I felt it would last longer than cloth or synthetic.

but about once a week my socks are get a hole in the heel or toe.

I have already investigated whether toenails could be the cause.

anyone know about pigskin?

Long or sharp toenails boring their way through your socks or bad fitting heels IMHO.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably badly fitting shoes - whatever their pedigree.

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
The shoes that seemed to do this were made in a way between made to measure and custom made. They were made according to a standard mold out of a sort-of hard plastic material. The mold itself is not made or adjusted according the to customer's foot.

I have just replaced them with a pair of relatively-cheap, readymade walking shoes by a thai company called Findig, with cowhide lining.

The toenail issue was already considered and dismissed. My socks never develop holes in the toenail area. If they wear out from natural wear, it is always at the ball or bottom of the heel. That is how I know that holes at the toe or back of the heel are due to something else.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, pigs do eat socks

Ten little pigs went to market,
One of them fell down,
and one of them ran-away.
How many went to town to eat some socks?

peepwall[1].gif

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Answer 3: cheap socks

wrong. If the shoe were eating the socks they would eat expensive socks just as they would cheap ones. The expensive socks might takes longer to wear out. But considering the cost difference, you might be losing more money buying expensive socks when the shoes were to blame.

Furthermore, the wear pattern would still be the same.

In fact, since I like medium weight socks designed for soccer players, I have tried both the cheap and expensive. I have searched long and hard over the surface of the globe and found that one brand (Flyhawk) of cheapies fits better than expensive brands (e.g., Adidas). The selection in Southeast Asia is quite limited.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, since I like medium weight socks designed for soccer players,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're wearing athletic socks with dress shoes? At least that's the image I'm getting.

In my experience, 100% cotton athletic socks becomes abrasive when wet. So after while I get holes at the heels. Most of my dress socks are synthetic blends and don't have this problem, although my feet sweats heavily with these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads