1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does Paul Ryan only have one suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by orthofrancis, Aug 10, 2012.

1. orthofrancis

orthofrancis Senior member

And he seems to wear it as a sports coat as well. From the pictures on the news tonight- it seems to be quite big. Probably just a calculated contrast to Romneys nicely tailored threads.

Not that there's anything wrong with that..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In his defense - the first two pictures seem to be from the same event.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Velophone

Velophone Member

Well, there goes my theory that Ryan and Ron Paul own one suit that they share.

3. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

It is only about a size or two too big for him.

4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I would hardly say that Romney's threads are all that nice. Pretty standard politico-wear.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Policitian nowadays have a strange habit, they like to have the same black suit, 5-7 of them so they can change into the 'same' one everyday without looking different.

Politic has been something for the weak party, apparently spending on good looking clothes is wrong and being unethical to make money is fine.

I love back in the days how Prime Minister dress, or the famous judges or Queen's council.

I have no idea why it had change to this bad taste.

6. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

His shirts don't fit very well either.

about a size too large.
    makes his neck look even longer

7. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Well they had to stop spending money on good looking clothes so no one would question them when they were being unethical to make money :rotflmao:

Btw not all politicians are that terrible at dressing. For a political George W. Bush was pretty ok.

8. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I think you will find that the previous generation of Queen's Counsel dressed fairly monochromatically - it would have been a dark three piece suit, tunic shirt and dark tie when not in court and the usual uniform when in court. While I agree this was in good taste, it jars with what you assert in your post.

9. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

'W' dressed atrociously until he ran for President. His father was in a different league.

10. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Is it just me or does he look like the guy from the Office?

11. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

My wife who doesn't follow politics at all and had never seen him before today said the same thing. He looks like that geeky guy from Sabre on the office.

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

he does sorta

13. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

You think most American men have a suit as "good" (and I use that tern loosely) as Paul Ryan's? They certainly don't have clothes as nice as what Obama or either of the Bush's wore on the campaign trail.

14. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  15. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  16. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

He wears other colors.

A guess is that Paul Ryan wears suits that are too big in certain areas because of the brands/models considered, that's what best fits some aspects of his athletic frame (such as the overdeveloped chest). Maybe his aides will push him to wear better suits as the election nears.

Where's the discussion of his appearance being a factor in the selection?

17. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

18. Dib

Dib Senior member

Pau Ryan's outfit when he was announced as Romney's running mate made for depressing viewing: baggy suit, top shirt button undone with a round neck undershirt poking through. Horrible.

As others have noted above, it's also a real shame that standards of dress have declined markedly for UK politicians too. I think this is due, partly, to the fact that the media would likely seize upon any politicians who were seen to be spending a lot on their clothes (portraying them as elitist, privileged, out of touch with the common man etc). The recent MP's expenses scandal in the UK also heightened sensitivity on these sorts of issues.

19. SamSpade

SamSpade Senior member

Politics (unlike the workplace in general) is one area where I concede the declining clothing standards actually indicates real trouble. While in the workplace people should be left alone to wear what's comfortable, politics is a public business, that needs to meet the standards of rational democratic discourse, with the attendant rationality, sober attention to detail, evidence, and viewpoints, decorum, consideration, manners, etc. Some form of appropriate, calibrated dress seems virtually an imperative to match a real, thoughtful, solemn, debate.

Obviously, none of the above applies to the orchestrated freakshow that passes for democracy (LOL) these days, so the decline in dress (getting sloppier, pimpier, or both) is simply a lagging acknowledgement that the whole thing is a charade. Heck, I'd imagine it is far easier to spout inane bullshit and lies in sloppy garb than it would be in some sort of dignified attire.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012