• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Outkast sample?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Outkast use samples? I know a few of their songs are re-workings of a few old choruses and what not, but in general?

I was debating with a friend, he said that the vast majority of their huge hits, classics, have nothing sampled at all, that he knew of.

ATLiens? Elevators...Wheelz of Steel? Ms Jackson? Hey ya? The Way You Move? BOB? They all have tremendous choruses. They aren't even re-sing-ings of anything. or are they?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Does Outkast use samples? I know a few of their songs are re-workings of a few old choruses and what not, but in general?

I was debating with a friend, he said that the vast majority of their huge hits, classics, have nothing sampled at all, that he knew of.

ATLiens? Elevators...Wheelz of Steel? Ms Jackson? Hey ya? The Way You Move? BOB? They all have tremendous choruses. They aren't even re-sing-ings of anything. or are they?

I['m pretty sure "The Way You Move" and "B.O.B." both get their melodies from old '80s songs, but I'll be damned if I can place them.

At the very least, "Skew it on the Bar-B" samples Henry Mancini, IIRC.

But Outkast/Organised Noise were really pioneers of using live instruments and sequences rather than samples.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know hey-ya was from a chord progression 3000 came up with while learning guitar.

stankonia gives no acknowledgement of sampling in the liner notes. it's all original AFAIK.

wikipedia has samples used in the album entries. here are a few:

ATliens

* "Two Dope Boyz" contains a sample of "Danger, She's A Stranger" by The Five Stairsteps.
* "Wheelz of Steel" contains a sample of "Focus III" by Focus (from the 1972 album Focus III).
* "Jazzy Belle" contains a sample of "Prelude" by Lamont Dozier (from the 1974 album Black Bach).
* "Elevators (Me & You)" contains a sample of "Come In Out of the Rain" by Parliament (from the album First Thangs) and SFX from the video game Super Mario Bros.
* "Wailin" contains a sample of "To The Establishment" by Lou Bond.
* "Mainstream" contains a sample of "Sesame Street" by Goodie Mob.

speakerboxxx

* "GhettoMusick," from "Speakerboxxx," contains samples of "Love, Need & Want You" by Patti LaBelle.
* "She Lives In My Lap," from "The Love Below," contains samples of "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" by Geto Boys and "Pistolgrip-Pump" by Volume 10.
* "Pink & Blue," from "The Love Below," contains samples of "Age Ain't Nothing But A Number" by Aaliyah and "Why Can't We Live Together" by Timmy Thomas.
* "My Favorite Things" from "The Love Below" contains samples from John Coltrane's 1960 recording by the same name.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of those are incidental samples, sound effects, etc.

compare for example Kanye's most famous choruses or hooks, they are from other existing megahit pop songs. We are talking 7 weeks at #1 michael jackson hooks.

Outkast seems to never do this. The only time they did was for their debut, Southernplayalistic....

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah. i don't think they've ever lifted a melody. the way you move chorus sounds really familiar to me but i can't figure out what it is, if anything.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

CosmeDaniel

Reaction score
wow..bumpin an almost 3yr old thread with da answer...
crackup[1].gif

I'm impressed he found the thread to begin with.

Stellar first post I have to say. Trumps my few posts.

misnomer

Reaction score
Southern rap generally has less samples, Outkast is no exception. I think there are definitely some interpolated bit (rehashes of old melodies) in some tracks, but a lot of the samples are subtle. Since we're on the subject though, does anyone else recognize that "shhhwoooghh" noise at the start of ATLiens from that Alpha Centauri game?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads