• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does one always feel like they didn't quite experience everything in life?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a long day of watch shopping, studying for school, and reading the "going out alone" thread, I have this feeling like I'm doing it all wrong.

Does everyone know the feeling, where you look back and go "shoot, I should have done this, this, etc...?" Reminds me of this quote, the last part especially:

"Just remember, the same as a spectacular Vogue magazine, remember that no matter how close you follow the jumps: Continued on page whatever. No matter how careful you are, there's going to be the sense you missed something, the collapsed feeling under your skin that you didn't experience it all. There's that fallen heart feeling that you rushed right through the moments where you should've been paying attention. Well, get used to that feeling. That's how your whole life will feel some day. This is all practice. None of this matters. We're just warming up."

For some reason, I always revert back to the things I do alone vs. calling up people and seeing if they want to do something...maybe I just don't see the point in hanging out unless you have something new or interesting planned ahead of time. One more year of college, and that fallen heart feeling is all too familiar.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opportunity cost is a *****.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's important to try and experience things, and it's also important to understand that you will never have the time, energy, or resources to experience everything out there. Choose what you do wisely. Time is one thing we have absolutely no control over. Ask any old man what he wouldn't give to be young again.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
It's important to try and experience things, and it's also important to understand that you will never have the time, energy, or resources to experience everything out there. Choose what you do wisely. Time is one thing we have absolutely no control over. Ask any old man what he wouldn't give to be young again.

That's the feeling, god that's going to hurt one day
confused.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Whodini said something a while back about wishing he treated relationships in college more like social experiments. "Give me a ** or I will never talk to you again." etc. I agree.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Whodini said something a while back about wishing he treated relationships in college more like social experiments. "Give me a ** or I will never talk to you again." etc. I agree.

I think part of it is I've been doing the whole online dating thing through college. It's worked well and been fun, mind you, but I think I should be saving that for AFTER college, when I'll actually have to use it if I want to meet new people.

It's the whole sitting on the computer talking to a girl online, while there's a cute girl sitting right next to you in real life who might want to talk thing.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I think part of it is I've been doing the whole online dating thing through college. It's worked well and been fun, mind you, but I think I should be saving that for AFTER college, when I'll actually have to use it if I want to meet new people.

It's the whole sitting on the computer talking to a girl online, while there's a cute girl sitting right next to you in real life who might want to talk thing.

if youre in college and do a lot of online dating....im pretty sure the cute girl sitting next to you doesnt want to talk.
eh.gif
smile.gif
devil.gif
frown.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
West24, I mish you

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Opportunity cost is a *****.

That, well said, is a mouthful.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
if youre in college and do a lot of online dating....im pretty sure the cute girl sitting next to you doesnt want to talk.
eh.gif
smile.gif
devil.gif
frown.gif

Thanks
devil.gif
. I don't live on campus, but when I am there I tend to ignore people. I could definitely do more talking to people and aksing my friends if they want to hang out after class, etc. That's my goal at least.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
After a long day of watch shopping, studying for school, and reading the "going out alone" thread, I have this feeling like I'm doing it all wrong.

Does everyone know the feeling, where you look back and go "shoot, I should have done this, this, etc...?"

I think this is mostly just a young person's sentiment... once one gets a family such philosophical thoughts are eclipsed by the petty daily concerns of chores and work. It is a pity, since I view this as hiding from reality. OP, I have this feeling, of whether I'm wasting my life or not, quite profoundly- it haunts me daily (I'm not being sarcastic). If you're looking for a quick escape, indeed getting a family will squash those ruminations, and society will call you "selfless" for not thinking about yourself. I don't agree, forgetting oneself in one's family or job is the height of selfishness.

Getting to the original feeling you mentioned, I generally undulate between two solutions- one is to make as much money as possible in my career as soon as I graduate and then go insane on vacations around the world, sleeping with as many women as possible whilst listening to exotic trance beats... or going on some grand Quixotan misadventures through north africa... again, in search of romance. I'm exaggerating, but I have actually been on a couple 'round-the-world' trips and it actually is possible, in places like dusk on the Lao/Cambodian border, to find some sublime states formerly thought impossible in this bleak life. The other solution is to overcome the concept of time itself, which is primarily the cause of this whole dilemma from the start (i.e. "losing" time). Time is a construct of the mind which can pass if one ceases motor control over consciousness... and Buddha has outlined thoroughly that path.

I would be very interested to hear anyone else's ideas.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To sum it all up, I must say that I regret nothing.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel this way quite often.

I'm older than most here, I'm 60.

My Father died in 1969 and I made him a promise which I haven't kept. I'm not dead yet and I'm going to renew my efforts and try to fulfill that promise.

In addition, I went to Rice U. from 1967-1971. I had the most fantastic opportunities available to anyone. I feel that I missed out on those opportunities.

At this point in my life my priorities have changed.

I recently wrote this:

It reminded me of dreams. There are kids right now with tough backgrounds and parents. And some of those kids are dreaming. Perhaps of becoming another Bill Gates or Larry Ellison. I'll be gone but I predict it will happen for a few kids. It might be in India or China but it will happen.

In the time I have left, I'm going to pursue some dreams.

BTW: If you are young and in college, you have lots of time. Don't waste it.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you didn't feel that way.. you would die... that's the motivation to keep on living another day so you can see and experience one more new thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads