Does neck size affect overall body fit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

How much slimmer (in the body) would a 15.5 be vs. a 16?

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

A shirt? With in the brand minimal

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I have a few RL Polo button-down classic-fit shirts, and some are in 15.5 and some in 16. To me, there is a pretty noticeable difference in fit through the body.

4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Nowadays, with most mass-produced brands like Polo RL, size 15 and 15.5 necks will essentially be a "medium" in the body, while 16 and 16.5 will be "large", etc. So yes, there should be a rather noticeable difference when jumping up from a half size to a whole size. The nicer dress shirt brands usually have a more graduated scale, so that each half inch change in neck size equates to a proportionate change in overall body size.

5. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Yes, the neck has a noticeable impact at least on the dress shirts.

6. john parker

john parker Well-Known Member

Asked the question to Lands' End. Shoulder width goes up 1/2 inch from 16 neck to 16 1/2 neck.

7. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

It does make a big difference, which surprised me when I finally stopped and looked at size charts. For example, look at the sizing for BB:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/content/Fullpages/sizechart.tem?popup=1

Each 1/2 inch in neck size means a 2 inch difference in chest/waist, which can be huge if you're looking for something slim fitting. I noticed this in particular b/c I was previously buying 15.5 ESF BB shirts which fit me like a tent. I sized down to 15 and had to still dart them. I recently bought 14.5 inch and they fit well through the body. In other words, each 1/2 inch in neck made a huge difference in body fit --- from very loose and needing sides taken in (15.5) to only needing darts (15) to perfect fit (14.5) through the body. Of course, the limit is the neck size and for me I simply can't work with the 14.5 despite the nice fit.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

Great info.

I've actually got two versions of a shirt I love - one in a 15 neck I wear without a tie both with and without a jacket, and on in a 16 I wear with a tie, under a jacket. Should get the latter tailored by I'm too cheap.

9. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

The same is true for some of the other large shirt makers. For example, TM Lewin Slim Fit shirts go up 2 inches for every 0.5 inch neck size, as does the Charles Tyrwhitt Classic Fit.

10. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member