• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does my suit fit?

mansy

Reaction score
Hi

I've been invited to a wedding in Barbados which requires suits. Given the recent weather in the UK you can understand why I'm not that keen to spend too much money on a lightweight suit.

I picked this light grey cotton suit up at a reasonable price off the rack and was hoping to get your opinion on the fit. The trousers are unfinished so have just been folded in at the bottom. I haven't unpicked the vents yet (in case I need a refund) so that may have a slight effect.

Sorry, I can't get the side and rear photos to rotate!

As you can see I'm a newbie so please be gentle
smile.gif
but I really appreciate your help. Tips as to what can and can't be fixed by a tailor would be great as well.

Thanks very much for your help!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket seems short.

Your shirt's cuff should be visible past the jacket's by about 1/2 an inch below it.

I would press the suit, since its wrinkly, looks weird where the pants rise.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Like Saturdays said, I would get the suit pressed.

mansy

Reaction score
Thanks very much gents. Yes shortening the sleeves was something I had thought about.

Will definitely get it pressed too. I keep reading that you need to "embrace the wrinkles" with cotton/linen suits but I guess there is a difference between wrinkles and creases!

Thanks again. Any more comments appreciated.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are too many wrong things in this suit, I will suggest a refund and seek another suit.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This fits much better than your typical off the rack suit. The chances of a random poster getting a seal of approval from this forum are basically zero. It fits fine. If it's not something you want to spend a bunch of time and money caring about, there's nothing egregious wrong w this suit IMHO. Get it pressed tho.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the reluctance to spend a lot of money on a lightweight suit that you may not wear that often and I think you've done decently considering. Fit isn't perfect but is above average for off the rack. I quite like light grey for the occasion you're describing, though I'd personally prefer linen. I also prefer a slightly lower buttoning point, but you can only do so much with an OTR suit.

Thanks very much gents. Yes shortening the sleeves was something I had thought about.

Will definitely get it pressed too. I keep reading that you need to "embrace the wrinkles" with cotton/linen suits but I guess there is a difference between wrinkles and creases!

Thanks again. Any more comments appreciated.

Pressing the suit and shortening the sleeves a bit are good ideas. You're supposed to embrace the wrinkles as they occur over the course of the day, not wear the thing wrinkled from the start. Very important difference IMO.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a terrible suit and presented badly - creases, you really should have pressed it before wearing it - or did you sleep in it? The coat is too short and too tight but the sleeves are wrong somehow - maybe shirt sleeves too short,

The trousers may well be too short as well, it is impossible to tell.

On balance take it back and don't worry about the recent UK weather, there is plenty of scope to wear a light weight suit.

mansy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, they are really appreciated.

Sorry I should have given it a press before posting. It was an online order and I think it wasn't packaged too great in the box so got a bit crumpled.

Any other comments welcome but thanks to everyone that has posted already.

Ivar

Reaction score
If you look at the full-figure shot, you'll notice that there's something "off" about the balance between the upper and lower body, an imbalance that could be offset by lengthening the suit jacket by a couple of inches (at the time of the manufacture -- too late to remedy now). That's the major fault with the suit (except for fixing the sleeve and pants length, which is easily done). On the whole, however, I agree with Unbel in that it looks better than most OTR suits posted on this forum; and you already look better than 99% of the male population.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the full-figure shot, you'll notice that there's something "off" about the balance between the upper and lower body, an imbalance that could be offset by lengthening the suit jacket by a couple of inches (at the time of the manufacture -- too late to remedy now). That's the major fault with the suit (except for fixing the sleeve and pants length, which is easily done). On the whole, however, I agree with Unbel in that it looks better than most OTR suits posted on this forum; and you already look better than 99% of the male population.

...easy there. We haven't seen OP's face yet.

Last edited:

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a suit you only plan on wearing once and it's not costing you much - go with it. Personally I'd be a little pissed if I had to buy a light colored suit just to wear to someone else's wedding and would buy the cheapest possible thing so I can just wear it once and relegate it to the back of my closet. I'm sure once you iron it, it will look nice in person.

Chest and shoulders look just fine if you ignore the wrinkles - same for the trousers. The mid-section looks a little snug from the way it's pulling in from the back, but if you're comfortable, go with it. Sleeves and trousers need to be shortened. Jacket might be just a hair on the short-side, but looks fine to me.

Of course if you have unlimited funds or unlimited time to spend looking for a suit to wear to someone else's wedding you can buy something nicer, but if I were you I wouldn't.

Also - for the record - I don't ever remember a "How does this suit fit?" that GBR didn't hate :D

Last edited:

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a terrible suit and presented badly - creases, you really should have pressed it before wearing it - or did you sleep in it?

Here's one for you GBR. A critic from the New Yorker once went to a Luciano Pavarotti concert. In social circles in New York this critic had a reputation of being particularly harsh, but not particularly well dressed - sort of Michael Moore type stuffed in a suit. That evening he showed up in a particularly rumpled suit and sat through the concert. Backstage after the concert Pavarotti recognized him and commented "Is that how you come to my concert? You look like you slept in that suit" to which the critic replied "Funny, I just woke up." :p

On balance take it back and don't worry about the recent UK weather, there is plenty of scope to wear a light weight suit.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...easy there. We haven't seen OP's face yet.

Obviously, the post you quoted was not trying to make an objective comment on OP's looks. That must have been obvious to everyone reading this thread other than you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads