1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does my suit fit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suitnoob, Jan 19, 2013.

1. suitnoob

suitnoob Member

Just got a new suit, but I think it may be a little tight near the waist. This is my first suit, so I'm not sure. What do you all think?

Edit: Only showing the jacket here, the pants fit great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

its ok but..
    maybe a tad big in the shoulders
    both pants and arms wrinkle usually from not correct fit. unless of course they jsut happened to be wrinkled.
    a better quality pic would help for better judgement. maybe try doing it outside in sunlight since it appears you are using a camera phone?or web cam

3. suitnoob

suitnoob Member

I'll try to get a better picture during tomorrow afternoon. I get free alterations for a lifetime. I was most concerned with the waist, it feels a little snug around that area, but it does not appear to form the "X", so maybe it does fit correctly in that area?

4. suitnoob

suitnoob Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to get a better quality image tomorrow morning, but I am more concerned about the waist of my jacket being too tight? I do not see the "X", so does that mean it's not too tight? I am not used to having clothes hug my body, maybe that is why i'm paranoid. I got my suit from Suit Supply in NYC.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

hard to tell but if there is pulling its not that bad / thats kind of in right now.
    your build should be able to get away with pulling .

6. Latour

Latour Active Member

It fits ok but don't wear suppressed waists, it makes even thin guys arses look like a duck.btw, you're too old to be wearing these schoolboy cuts.

7. suitnoob

suitnoob Member

What does a suppressed waist mean? And what does a schoolboy cut mean? LOL, sorry i'm a noob.

8. suitnoob

suitnoob Member

What does a suppressed waist mean? And what dose a schoolboy cut mean? LOL, sorry for the questions, I'm a noob!

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It fits great, don't worry. Be happy.

10. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

James bond is too old also in skyfall? he dresses pretty tight himself.....

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Maybe it's the lighting. I'm also wondering what a back pic would show.

But. The shoulders look a little wide.

The button point high.

The pant rise low.

Even the chest might be too big.

Jacket might be too short.

Tight? At the buttoning point maybe.

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

+1 i have no idea where all these other people are getting the "too wide shoulders, jacket too short, too much waist suppression" things from. But unless i need glasses the suit looks fine for OTR to me

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Those aren't his suit pants, he stated he's only wearing the jacket. The jacket length looks fine in relation to his arm length and as long as its covering his rear it should be fine. I do agree with the button point being high but not so much that it causes a major issue i personally think it looks fine. Where are you guys getting the chest/shoulders being too big from? they look fine to me.

14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Maybe it's the lighting in the pic .

Look above the buttoning point near the side of the chest/underarm area. It looks big. Shoulders also look a touch big. A back pic would help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. BerlutiLover

BerlutiLover Member

It looks good. How do you feel in it? If it feels comfortable leave it as is. It is also a matter of personal preferance. How tight you want your jacket to feel. Incidentally, I recently had my measurements taken by a new tailor (first commission) from Italy and he asked me how I want it to fit, suggesting a range from loose to really tight. He suggested a tight fit as more "Italian" ;)

16. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Let out the waist. It looks pretty good everywhere else.

17. austerlitz

austerlitz Senior member

18. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

I assume you're going for the tightly fitted aesthetic, in which case, it looks pretty good overall. Just make sure not to gain any weight, because the jacket isn't going to be very forgiving of such. :)

I'm not crazy about the high buttoning point, but that's the style of the jacket, and there's nothing you'd ba able to do about it that won't end up looking silly.

My only other nitpick is that the jacket may be a bit on the short side. Hard to tell precisely, as your jeans are sitting pretty low. Where on the waist or hips do you normally wear your dress trousers and suit pants?

19. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Shoulders are NOT too wide. They're good.

20. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Looks great. You actually have a waist, which is good, so let it shine on through! When you're old and fat, then you can worry about letting your suit hide your physique.

1 person likes this.