• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does mantellassi have different shoe lines?

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
My wife just got a voice mail from my mother in law who is currently on a tour of Europe. From what we can make out of the message she came across a pair of black monstraps by Sutor Mantellassi that had " something with an L, we couldn't make out A Mano" inscribed in the sole that the salesman said was one of the best shoes in the world but she could have them for what comes out to be about $150 U.S. I am not sure what to think. I know most shoemakers have a few lines and Santoni even has two versions of "Fatte a Mano" Does the same ring true for Mantellassi? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the in laws will be moving on with the trip Monday...Thanks

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
I am starting to run out of time on this one. Any help or thoughts on Mantellassi shoes in general would be a tremendous help.

shoefan

Reaction score
I don't know about different lines, but I would say that $150 for a Sutor Mantellasi is worth taking a flier on. If you don't like them or they don't fit, you could probably sell them to someone from this forum.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Thanks shoefan...From what I can gather from previous posts they are pretty well made shoes. Guess it is worth a shot...

shoefan

Reaction score
Their web site implies that all their leather soled shoes are welted, and it shows pictures of hand-welting, so I assume they are Goodyear welted. Definitely alot of shoe for $150. Let us know how it works out.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would assume that Mantellassi, like most of the other Italian manufacturers, makes shoes using a mind-boggling array of different production methods that only they understand. Regardless of whether they are Goodyear-welted or not, they're not going to be crap. For $150, your risk is very low: if you don't like them, you should be able to unload them on this forum or on eBay for that amount or more.

Speaking of the Mantellassi website, has anyone ever ordered shoes from there? What has your experience been?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do have a lower level line of Blake-stitched shoes. However, the shoes you describe do not sound like they come fram that line.

mrwiz

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just received some SM shoes off eBay this morning and wanted to give my report. I had been hoping that they were from the top end line, but looking inside I see stitching around the insole indicating that they are Blake stitched, although they have a channeled sole. The stitching is also irregular, which corresponds with the "Lavorato a Mano" stamp on the bottom of the shoe: these shoes are, at least to some degree handmade. Even though they aren't welted, I'm extremely pleased with how light and flexible the sole is. The suede is quite soft and much more intensely colored than the listing suggested (which I like). How did I do for the price, if I may ask?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrwiz
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just received some SM shoes off eBay this morning and wanted to give my report. I had been hoping that they were from the top end line, but looking inside I see stitching around the insole indicating that they are Blake stitched, although they have a channeled sole. The stitching is also irregular, which corresponds with the "Lavorato a Mano" stamp on the bottom of the shoe: these shoes are, at least to some degree handmade.

Even though they aren't welted, I'm extremely pleased with how light and flexible the sole is. The suede is quite soft and much more intensely colored than the listing suggested (which I like). How did I do for the price, if I may ask?

Good price - 100 dollars for Mantellassis is a great deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads