• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does "Made in Italy" mean anything anymore?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
The point is, made in Italy doesn't necessarily connote quality anymore--it's highly dependent on the specific factory in Italy it's made in, and the quality standards that the brand has when commissioning work to be done at that factory.

Yes. I suppose what I was saying is this. There are three kinds of 'made in Italy'

(a) "I have an expensive designer item"

(b) "I have an item that is of good quality because it is made in a country with some distinctive high-quality manufacturing tradition"

(c) = (a) + (b)

So you're right that, because of (a), 'made in Italy' does not necessarily denote quality any more. But it helps to be precise.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Don't forget that the machines are willing to work for much less in China.
laugh.gif

aj_del hit the nail on the head, though I suspect he's reacting out of nationalist fervour.
wink.gif

In the end, the responsibility for the quality of a product lies with the brand, not with the manufacturer.

Heck, Apple computers are 100% made in China and they have some of the most rigorous quality control around.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
laugh.gif

aj_del hit the nail on the head, though I suspect he's reacting out of nationalist fervour.
wink.gif

Not really, what I am trying to say is Frette would have loved to put a Made in Italy label on their crappy sheets also. But they pre-decided a price that they were willing to pay and probably could not find an Italian manufacturer who could manufacturer the sheets or whatever within their price.

Now there are only 2 possibilities

1. Either every manufacturer in Italy said that they simply can't make that inferior level of quality

2. Or there were manufacturers in Italy who were willing to make the inferior quality but could not match the price that was quoted by their competitors in India.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A hidden scam undertaken by Persian merchants selling RTW clothing in Downtown Los Angeles has been "Designed in Italy", an Italian company name, and the product is made in Los Angeles sweatshops or imported from South Korea.

Made in Italy....who cares...its Designed in Italy which is the next scam frontier

You see this with Kangool hats...."Designed in Britain/England" is printed in bold...but its made somewhere in Asia (with much more subtle print used)

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a lot of the stuff actually made in italy is being made by the (italian) chinese!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Heck, Apple computers are 100% made in China and they have some of the most rigorous quality control around.

I don't know if it is still the case, but for a long time, you could buy "generic" Apple computers in China for about a third the price of the "real" thing in Europe or the US. These were identical to "real" Apples. In fact, they were real Apples, and were made in the same factory. They just didn't have the Apple label -- or the warranty. It was sort of reverse counterfeiting.

The problem with a lot of goods from China is reputational. Chinese factories can -- and do -- produce absolutely top-quality stuff if you hold their feet to the fire and insist on specific production methods and quality standards. But, left to their own devices, Chinese manufacturers will find amazing ways to cut production costs. There is little downside for them as it all appears under someone else's label. They are almost all strictly contract manufacturers you have never heard of who will happily turn out Prada in the morning and Gap in the afternoon.

Italian manufacturers are more sensitive to their reputations. Many factories who make for others also have their own brands. So when, say Corneliani makes something for RL, they are aware that if they turn out junk, it will affect their reputations.

Another point with respect to tailored clothing is that the Italians have invested a lot in quality control systems whereas the Chinese haven't. If you look in the breast pocket of many Italian suits or jackets, you will see a large, complex label with a great deal of information regarding the jacket/suit and its production. If you look in the breast pocket of a Chinese-made suit or jacket, you will probably find, at best, a tiny label with the size.

Krp480

Reaction score
I would, if it is an extra $10, and its there yes, but if it is another $200 then over china... nah. It does make it seem being made in italy that there is more quality to it but not all the time but china is know for making ****.

If this is the difference between Nike lets just say being made in China or a product that is made in italy the same product i would go for the one in china being made by nike since i like their products and in my opinion they have fine quality stuff.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Are you kidding? Those vowel-happy peninsula dwellers are a few thousand years behind us in noodle tech.
That may be true ... but I draw the line at Spaghetti that is "Made in China."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
both the Chinese and Italian made Prada items I've purchased have sucked in quality
It's Prada ... what did you expect?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to Dana Thomas -- and no, I do not mean Danny -- any and everything is being labeled "Made in Italy" as long as something is attached to the item (perhaps just the Made in Italy label itself) once the item is in Italy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
According to Dana Thomas -- and no, I do not mean Danny -- any and everything is being labeled "Made in Italy" as long as something is attached to the item (perhaps just the Made in Italy label itself) once the item is in Italy.

Chinese or Italian?

Monica_Bellucci_041.JPG

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Chinese or Italian?
It can be difficult to tell ... especially the more beautiful one is. Forget that damn line I drew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads