• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does "Made in Italy" matter anymore?

Elegantly Wasted

Reaction score

...the way I view it is that there must be a reason why they prefer to make their items in Italy...

That reason is that they can charge premium prices while employing illegal labor from Algeria, Morocco, etc.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A quote from LabelKing, on todays Put This On entry, which seems relevant here:
“Many people still associate Chinese-made product with inferior quality, just as Japanese electronics were once considered junk, but those of us who have actually visited facilities in China know that they are not far off from the potential of eclipsing Italy in terms of production of quality garments.”
— Jeffery Diduch

narcissism

Reaction score

“Many people still associate Chinese-made product with inferior quality, just as Japanese electronics were once considered junk, but those of us who have actually visited facilities in China know that they are not far off from the potential of eclipsing Italy in terms of production of quality garments.”
— Jeffery Diduch

Yeah like I said before, we established, or some people on this forum came to consensus that country of origin does not necessarily dictate quality in a thread last year on this same issue. The idea that Chinese made goods can beat Italian made goods in quality should not sound that outrageous.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But would having one of these tags mean guaranteed good quality:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah like I said before, we established, or some people on this forum came to consensus that country of origin does not necessarily dictate quality in a thread last year on this same issue. The idea that Chinese made goods can beat Italian made goods in quality should not sound that outrageous.

— Jeffery Diduch

People should really stop this made in "here or there" bandwagon. It is utterly useless as a concept. While a name brand like Kiton or Loro Piana produce garments of a certain quality and carry a generally appealing range of items, the fact that they are manufactured in Italy is inconsequential. If they found a Brazilian tailor / factory that could make their garments within their tolerance limits in regards to quality, then some of their items would be made in Brazil. It is the designer and the level of quality folks, it aint got jack **** to do with where it was made. Dont believe the hype that a master Italian tailor is stitching your wool suits by hand, they employ and apprentice the cheapest possible labor just like everywhere else. Sure the people are trained to be skilled by hand in the factories, but are not necessarily more skillful than Chinese.

So to previous posters dissapointed their favourite suit labels are not making their suits in Italy but rather Switzerland, then I think you are more in love with the concept of a high baller suit rather than appreciating the actual aesthetics of your suit. I have Tom Ford suits made in Switzerland, and noone would could them junk just because they are not made in Italy. I would Argue that Tom Ford suit is at least the quality of Zegna or Isaia, both often made in Italy. Anyway, bottom line, who cares ...

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would Argue that Tom Ford suit is at least the quality of Zegna or Isaia, both often made in Italy.

Tom Ford IS made by Zegna. To Napoli XXX standards.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did not know that one! Cheers! I assume therefore that YSL and Gucci are also involved with Zegna. Does Zegna make suits for everybody then :laugh:?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did not know that one! Cheers! I assume therefore that YSL and Gucci are also involved with Zegna. Does Zegna make suits for everybody then :laugh:?

I don't think YSL is, nor Gucci, but I have not had a recent suit from them, so I cannot say.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks brothers has some full canvassed sport coats made in China for pretty cheap... just sayin'

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think YSL is, nor Gucci, but I have not had a recent suit from them, so I cannot say.

I went mad this summer and bought 2 YSL suits and 1 Gucci suit, and all made in Switzerland. That is my assumed link to Zegna. Im not sure they are as well made as Zegna though, Gucci one in particular have gone for handticked lapels despite having no canvassing anywhere.

Now to combat buyers remorse for hitting the trigger on those suits just because they were 50% off. The grass is always greener on the other side and the regret runs deep :embar:

stylemeup

Reaction score
I'll never buy any "Made in China" luxury goods again, after buying a RLPL 100% handmade cashmere sweater, MSRP $999 USD (which of course is not anywhere near what I paid for it), that was Made in China. That sweater sheds like crazy. I cannot say for sure that being Made in China is the cause of my sweater being crap, but that is a plausible enough explanation for me to avoid taking further risks with "Made in China" for any non-disposable clothing. Or if other sf members can tell me why that sweater is crap, if not because it is Made in China, I'll reconsider my position on "Made in China."

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'll never buy any "Made in China" luxury goods again, after buying a RLPL 100% handmade cashmere sweater, MSRP $999 USD (which of course is not anywhere near what I paid for it), that was Made in China. That sweater sheds like crazy. I cannot say for sure that being Made in China is the cause of my sweater being crap, but that is a plausible enough explanation for me to avoid taking further risks with "Made in China" for any non-disposable clothing. Or if other sf members can tell me why that sweater is crap, if not because it is Made in China, I'll reconsider my position on "Made in China."

If cashmere pills, it is because of poor yarn quality, not the actual construction of the garment.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[W]e dont live in the 1700's anymore where the colonials must bow their heads to an englishman.
Yes, and this is a damn shame!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People should really stop this made in "here or there" bandwagon. It is utterly useless as a concept. While a name brand like Kiton or Loro Piana produce garments of a certain quality and carry a generally appealing range of items, the fact that they are manufactured in Italy is inconsequential. If they found a Brazilian tailor / factory that could make their garments within their tolerance limits in regards to quality, then some of their items would be made in Brazil. It is the designer and the level of quality folks, it aint got jack **** to do with where it was made. Dont believe the hype that a master Italian tailor is stitching your wool suits by hand, they employ and apprentice the cheapest possible labor just like everywhere else. Sure the people are trained to be skilled by hand in the factories, but are not necessarily more skillful than Chinese.

So to previous posters dissapointed their favourite suit labels are not making their suits in Italy but rather Switzerland, then I think you are more in love with the concept of a high baller suit rather than appreciating the actual aesthetics of your suit. I have Tom Ford suits made in Switzerland, and noone would could them junk just because they are not made in Italy. I would Argue that Tom Ford suit is at least the quality of Zegna or Isaia, both often made in Italy. Anyway, bottom line, who cares ...

you can call me out by name bro its ok, ive heard far worse.

i dont think my suit would be any more baller if it was made in italy. in fact shortly before i bought my mtm zegna i bought a canali suit from the rack which is made in italy. there is not even a question that the finishing on the zegna suit is far beyond that of the canali, and the fabric has a much nicer hand as well. and yet i was slightly bothered by the fact it was made in switzerland. even though i knew they had factories there before i bought the suit. and that was exactly the point i was making, but i guess i was unclear. so i shall try again.

there is no doubt that the location of a suits manufacture does not dictate its quality. however, the "made in italy" branding shall we say has been so powerful in its connotations over the years that despite my knowledge of the facts i was still slightly disappointed that my tag didnt say made in italy. not that i in any way feel it detracts from the quality of the suit, but rather the concept has been so drilled in my head that i had to conciously move past it. this is the sign of great branding, and it deserves recognition thats all. :)

i am not made by zegna, though that would be cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads