• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does keeping your office warm help with calorie burning?

Shiny

Reaction score
Our A/C is kinda messed up. Changing the thermostat by 1 degree will often result in a 15 degree change in temperature. You're either too cold or warm. I like it cold, but my colleagues do not and outvote me. Anyway, I'm trying to find some good in this by asking whether being in a hot office will help with calorie burning.

I'm not sweating or anything, but I feel warmer esp. in my feet.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this is one thing i wanted to figure out for myself as well. i dont get a definite answer on whether exercising in cold/staying in cold weather helps burn more calories than doing it in hot weather/hot temp.

i would think hot temp makes one sweat more but dont think it correlates to actual calorie burning.

and cold (i heard sitting in ice cold water actually forces the body to burn tons of calories) will burn more due to shivering but i also was informed that cold makes the body try to conserve energy or calories
so i dont really know hope to hear some definitive answers.

but in an office room of just mere 15 degree temp drops or rises i think it is negligible.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
your body is constantly working to maintain its internal temperature.

If you are in a cold room, your body has to work that much harder which burns slightly more calories. Drinking ice water also burns more calories than room temp water.

None of this has any more effect than other things that burn insignificant amounts of calories like kissing...

Cognacad

Reaction score
Technically it will burning calories. That being said, you might as well just sneeze once or lift your pen once or twice to burn the same amount of calories.

East2West

Reaction score
Your answer: No
Reason: Homeostasis

Even if it was 130 degrees farenheit, you wouldn't be burning calories just losing weight from water loss.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
the ONLY way to burn any extra significant amount of calories (without using dangerous drugs) is through exercise/movement. everything else is either patently false or insignificant (insignficant = 1% difference).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads