• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does keeping your office warm help with calorie burning?

Shiny

Reaction score
Our A/C is kinda messed up. Changing the thermostat by 1 degree will often result in a 15 degree change in temperature. You're either too cold or warm. I like it cold, but my colleagues do not and outvote me. Anyway, I'm trying to find some good in this by asking whether being in a hot office will help with calorie burning.

I'm not sweating or anything, but I feel warmer esp. in my feet.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this is one thing i wanted to figure out for myself as well. i dont get a definite answer on whether exercising in cold/staying in cold weather helps burn more calories than doing it in hot weather/hot temp.

i would think hot temp makes one sweat more but dont think it correlates to actual calorie burning.

and cold (i heard sitting in ice cold water actually forces the body to burn tons of calories) will burn more due to shivering but i also was informed that cold makes the body try to conserve energy or calories
so i dont really know hope to hear some definitive answers.

but in an office room of just mere 15 degree temp drops or rises i think it is negligible.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
your body is constantly working to maintain its internal temperature.

If you are in a cold room, your body has to work that much harder which burns slightly more calories. Drinking ice water also burns more calories than room temp water.

None of this has any more effect than other things that burn insignificant amounts of calories like kissing...

Cognacad

Reaction score
Technically it will burning calories. That being said, you might as well just sneeze once or lift your pen once or twice to burn the same amount of calories.

East2West

Reaction score
Your answer: No
Reason: Homeostasis

Even if it was 130 degrees farenheit, you wouldn't be burning calories just losing weight from water loss.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
the ONLY way to burn any extra significant amount of calories (without using dangerous drugs) is through exercise/movement. everything else is either patently false or insignificant (insignficant = 1% difference).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.