• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does it matter to you?

adiksamaong

Reaction score
im practically a dry denim noob so...

in purchasing denim jeans, do you take in consideration if they're selvage of not?
seems like most of y'all in here own selvage jeans. but in purchasing jeans will it matter to you if thay're made of selvage denim or not? when is the time that you'll say "i'll buy this one even if they're not selvage".

thanks in advance

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adiksamaong
im practically a dry denim noob so...

in purchasing denim jeans, do you take in consideration if they're selvage of not?
seems like most of y'all in here own selvage jeans. but in purchasing jeans will it matter to you if thay're made of selvage denim or not? when is the time that you'll say "i'll buy this one even if they're not selvage".

thanks in advance

I haven't owned any selvage jeans, but want a pair solely to know that I have a selvage pair.

tangerine

Reaction score
...when is the time that you'll say "i'll buy this one even if they're not selvage"...

When the fit is superb. Nudie Slim Jim, Acne Mic and Dior Homme, in my case.

adiksamaong

Reaction score
what is/was your main reason when buying selvage jeans?

was it becausei will fade more beautifully?
the construction/built of the fabric?
or just the redline/selvage line?

why?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd only care if they are selvage or not if I planned on cuffing. I think most people associate selvage with higher quality, which I think we all know isn't necessarily the case.

Babar

Reaction score
I don't care if they're selvage even if I plan to cuff them. My Helmut Lang turn up cuts aren't selvage but they're the only jeans that I have that really look great when cuffed.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I'd only care if they are selvage or not if I planned on cuffing. I think most people associate selvage with higher quality, which I think we all know isn't necessarily the case.
I'm not sure they do know. Selvage has almost no function whatsoever. If used unconventionally (ie not the outseam), it can be used to make seams thinner because you don't have sew off the edge of the fabric. That's it. And it almost never is used that way, so for the most part, all selvage does is make cuffs slightly more colorful and jeans a lot more expensive. Selvage does not equal good. It seems like it's turning into the next big fad, but if you want to see some ****** selvage, check out Abercrombie and Fitch. The inverse is also true. Plenty of good stuff is made from open ended, ringspun denim woven on modern looms. There's a hell of a lot more to fabric quality than whether or not it's made on an old, narrow loom, and that's the stuff that actually matters.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I'm not sure they do know.

Selvage has almost no function whatsoever. If used unconventionally (ie not the outseam), it can be used to make seams thinner because you don't have sew off the edge of the fabric. That's it. And it almost never is used that way, so for the most part, all selvage does is make cuffs slightly more colorful and jeans a lot more expensive.

Selvage does not equal good. It seems like it's turning into the next big fad, but if you want to see some ****** selvage, check out Abercrombie and Fitch. The inverse is also true. Plenty of good stuff is made from open ended, ringspun denim woven on modern looms. There's a hell of a lot more to fabric quality than whether or not it's made on an old, narrow loom, and that's the stuff that actually matters.

That's where it becomes interesting. I am having a hard time (well, also not knowing Japanese) to find great jeans that aren't selvage.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id get non selvage, but all the jeans i want are selvage... besides maybe some diors.

Reaction score
Atelier La Durance makes some impressive non-selvage jeans, though I've never seen/handled them in person.

adiksamaong

Reaction score
to CM and all y'all,

since almost all of us know that selvage doesn't necessarily mean quality denim, what's your main reason on choosing selvage jeans over non-selvage?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well... i have 3 pair of selvage. 2 i got at burlignton coat, 1 rrl for 15$ and 1 rrl that became cmf homme for 25$. the other is a pair of canes 45s. i wanted a pair of repros, and they are selvage. also traded some vintage items for them, i didnt pay full price.

so i guess the reason i have selvage is that i got some amazing deals.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to CM and all y'all, since almost all of us know that selvage doesn't necessarily mean quality denim, what's your main reason on choosing selvage jeans over non-selvage?
I don't choose selvage jeans over non-selvage jeans. I just buy the jeans I like. It just so happens that most nice stuff happens to be selvage :p

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
well... i have 3 pair of selvage. 2 i got at burlignton coat, 1 rrl for 15$ and 1 rrl that became cmf homme for 25$. the other is a pair of canes 45s. i wanted a pair of repros, and they are selvage. also traded some vintage items for them, i didnt pay full price.

so i guess the reason i have selvage is that i got some amazing deals.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I wish i could find RRL for $15
frown.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price, the schizophrenic sizing almost wouldn't bother me.

Anyway, to add to the list, most Earnest Sewn isn't selvage, and the stuff that is uses selvage unconventionally (eg half selvage outseam and selvage waistband). Lots of Nudies aren't selvage either. The best stuff tends to be selvage, but that's a correlation with basically no causation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads