1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be discussed o

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jeromestyle, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jeromestyle

jeromestyle Senior member

because is imported and the process is costly.
    I have a pair of high-end jeans that nobody in this forum has ever discussed. expensive, but tight.

2. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Imported does not automatically mean better, nor does the cost of the process necessarily equals quality. Premium are often paid for perceived exclusivity and has little to do with quality.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

Why not expensive but loose? Are they good because we haven't heard of them? Of course, if they are jeans I'm not surprised we haven't heard.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. jeromestyle

in this case it does, the master craftsman died. he died. and nobody can ever replace his skills and tempo

5. jeromestyle

in the entire forum, i mean they fit very well

6. preposterous

preposterous Active Member

Your mother must be very proud.

I am a big fan of tight pants, could you please share photos?

7. jeromestyle

8. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

My dad still has a bitchin' Levi Strauss denim suit from the 70s. That would qualify. Will try and shoot photos.

9. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I agree. However, my posts in this thread, up til now at least, were specifically in response to the poster that implied that expensive jeans are no better than jeans costing under $100.

If you pick your brands correctly, yes, expensive jeans are better than jeans costing under $100. Better materials, better construction, better cuts in many cases, and additional features such as hidden back pocket rivets in most cases.

It's kind of like comparing Edward Green and Allen Edmonds. Both make good shoes that will last a long time, feel comfortable, and get you through whatever you need them for. But when you buy Edward Green, you are getting better materials, better lasts, and better construction, just like you are with the right brands of expensive denim.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Better material than denim? Holy shit! I'm listening...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

The higher end jeans are still made of denim, and the denim is still made of cotton. However, it's made from a higher grade of cotton, and it is woven to have more character, depth, and in most cases, durability than in cheap jeans. Just like when you look at EGs and AEs, they both use leather, but you get a higher grade of leather in EGs.

12. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

A post that should live in SF infamy, batted around by SF old-timers for years.

13. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Holy crap! I also have a pair of $4,500 jeans made by a master crafter who is also dead! Lets trade pictures and be bros! You first, as my camera is undergoing repairs and taking pictures with my phone would be so insulting it would actually cause the denim to degrade in quality.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Well, at least you wrote 'died' and not 'passed on.' But jeans and master craftsman in the same sentence ... surely that is an error, no?

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

This is what I was trying to get the OP to tell us. Certainly a more expensive item is often better than a less expensive item ... but one should be able to articulate -- as did commodorewheeler -- what makes the more expexpensive item better and not simply offer that it costs more.

Although at this point in time given the depth of previous on-line forum discussion, it's relatively easy to pull from a stock litany of reasons one item is better than another. For this reason I prefer a direct comparison.

16. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

It seems the MC crowd considers the SW&D crowd incredibly susceptible to marketing and the illusion of exclusivity, that the only reason we pay a premium for jeans, sneakers, etc, is not the quality or design, but instead the result of smart marketing campaigns. Are there really no MC-approved brands that are guilty of this very thing? None?

And yes, Kiton denim is awful. I'll handled it IRL at Mario's, and the fabric feels like that of an old Nike sweatshirt. The cut is also so exaggerated that I could likely fit two legs in one the the leg openings. STAY AWAY

But to second other's comments, I also would recommend brands like APC, RRL and Naked and Famous for reasonably priced jeans that are of decent quality and come in a range of cuts.

17. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

RRL is a step up from APC IMO, fits well and is as much as I'd be willing to spend on jeans. They haven't done me wrong yet.

18. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

The recent Wrangler x Marc Jacobs line had some denim pants. I think they pop up on eBay every so often (and I think I saw a pair on B&S once).
    Eh, not necessarily. RRL makes a bunch of different kinds of jeans, some of which have a ton of pre-distressing and whatnot that would inevitably shorten their lifespan. If we're talking about Levi's STFs v. RRL raw/one-wash models, I'm pretty sure Levi's uses a lighter-weight denim than RRL (12.5 oz. v 14 oz.), which means there's a decent chance you'll wear through a pair of Levi's faster than RRLs, but I'd say the differences in quality far outpace the differences in durability.

There are a bunch of things that determine both the price and the value (to the buyer) in a pair of jeans: the type, weight, and character of the denim, the dye and dying process, the cut, the construction, the various details that go into various aspects. There are also various appeal factors, like the brand name (e.g., Kiton), the history (LVC and various Japanese reproductions of classic Lee and Levi's models), the exclusivity (limited edition models and collaborations), or the "story" behind the jeans (like ROYs, with one person hand-making every pair).

Also, if y'all are looking for durability, you might want to consider Iron Hearts: heavyweight Japanese selvage denim, poly threads, and seriously sturdy construction. Expensive (at $350+), but they'll last you.

19. mrstillwater

mrstillwater Member

Maybe Jacob Cohen. I wouldn't buy jeans from a company not known for denim, even Kiton.
    www.jacobcohen.it

20. jeromestyle

my wife likes Notify, is it good?