Does it ever end?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stugotes, Jan 24, 2013.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

fft

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If he kops, he kops.

(Obscure reference to a thread AND a movie)

3. Varmant

Varmant Well-Known Member

Asking a Styleforum member if his clothing lust will ever end is like asking a bird not to fly anymore. Why it's like asking a fish to leave water, a construction worker to stop cat-calling women from his scaffold, a painter to never paint again, A chef never to cook again, a politician to tell te truth!..er..well you know what I mean.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I'm in step 8. I will just upgrade once or twice a year some old shirts, old suits, with better counterparts.
    As far as "impulse buy" I get a better fit with that skinny red pair of pants I got from H&M at 10 euros: from experience, I just can't justify the cost of buying incotex for the same "less use" colours.
    !luc

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

One of the traps is that you can always move further down the line from basics to esoteric items.

Step 1 - shirts, shoes, pants, suits

Step 2 - linen pants in more interesting colors, variety of sport coats, belts

Step 3 - scarfs, wool/cashmere shirts and knitwear, overcoats, slippers

Step 4 - money clips/wallets, tie clips, ridiculous materials, smoking jacket

Step 5 - Lifestyle stuff like fancy knives, cashmere throws

Even if you feel like you've "completed" a beautiful collection at Step X, there's always stuff in Step X+1 that can suck you in.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

but he almost always sells. he is wardrobe ever in motion, lol.

7. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

8. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

If you consider clothing/style to be at least partly a hobby and not just a quest to achieve some level of appearance, then the question becomes somewhat meaningless. Does the process of collecting stamps ever end for the stamp collector?

I would suggest that if you are asking the question, you are really looking for someone to tell you that you have "enough", because there is no objective "enough".

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

9. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I consider it some kind of hobby, maybe, but a hobby with an actual use. Dressing well makes me, at least, more confident.

I'm pretty sure I don't need someone to tell me I have enough, as I do not have an extensive wardrobe of bespoke suits yet and still already think of how it could end.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think if you find yourself in the mode of collecting clothes, and constantly selling/buying/selling, you are doing something profoundly wrong.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Fair enough. "Collecting" isn't a great analogy. Some other hobby where gear is utilized but is not the focus is probably a better one (golfing? fishing? photography?). The point is that for an enthusiast there's no objective reason they should ever feel like they "should" never purchase another piece of kit. "Enough" is relative to the person. For some photography hobbyists, a point-and-shoot is "enough" - they don't care about gear, just shooting. For others trying new gear is part of the fun and diversion of the hobby.

12. mafoofan

But dressing shouldn't be a hobby--not if you want any hope of doing it well.

13. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Are you suggesting that for you clothing/style has no aspect of a hobby? From above:

14. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

For reference, Webster's definition of a hobby:

15. mafoofan

I'm saying that dressing well should be organic to your lifestyle, not something you do. Certainly not something you do for fun. It should not be motivated by a love for clothing. It should not be something you can turn on and off. Attitudinally, that's what separates style from costume. And without the right attitude, you really don't have a chance at all.