• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does it ever end?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If he kops, he kops.

(Obscure reference to a thread AND a movie)

Varmant

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Asking a Styleforum member if his clothing lust will ever end is like asking a bird not to fly anymore. Why it's like asking a fish to leave water, a construction worker to stop cat-calling women from his scaffold, a painter to never paint again, A chef never to cook again, a politician to tell te truth!..er..well you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in step 8. I will just upgrade once or twice a year some old shirts, old suits, with better counterparts.
As far as "impulse buy" I get a better fit with that skinny red pair of pants I got from H&M at 10 euros: from experience, I just can't justify the cost of buying incotex for the same "less use" colours.
!luc

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the traps is that you can always move further down the line from basics to esoteric items.

Step 1 - shirts, shoes, pants, suits

Step 2 - linen pants in more interesting colors, variety of sport coats, belts

Step 3 - scarfs, wool/cashmere shirts and knitwear, overcoats, slippers

Step 4 - money clips/wallets, tie clips, ridiculous materials, smoking jacket

Step 5 - Lifestyle stuff like fancy knives, cashmere throws

Even if you feel like you've "completed" a beautiful collection at Step X, there's always stuff in Step X+1 that can suck you in.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he kops, he kops.

(Obscure reference to a thread AND a movie)

but he almost always sells. he is wardrobe ever in motion, lol.

mcbrown

Reaction score
If you consider clothing/style to be at least partly a hobby and not just a quest to achieve some level of appearance, then the question becomes somewhat meaningless. Does the process of collecting stamps ever end for the stamp collector?

I would suggest that if you are asking the question, you are really looking for someone to tell you that you have "enough", because there is no objective "enough".

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score
If you consider clothing/style to be at least partly a hobby and not just a quest to achieve some level of appearance, then the question becomes somewhat meaningless. Does the process of collecting stamps ever end for the stamp collector?

I would suggest that if you are asking the question, you are really looking for someone to tell you that you have "enough", because there is no objective "enough".

I consider it some kind of hobby, maybe, but a hobby with an actual use. Dressing well makes me, at least, more confident.

I'm pretty sure I don't need someone to tell me I have enough, as I do not have an extensive wardrobe of bespoke suits yet and still already think of how it could end.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think if you find yourself in the mode of collecting clothes, and constantly selling/buying/selling, you are doing something profoundly wrong.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I think if you find yourself in the mode of collecting clothes, and constantly selling/buying/selling, you are doing something profoundly wrong.

Fair enough. "Collecting" isn't a great analogy. Some other hobby where gear is utilized but is not the focus is probably a better one (golfing? fishing? photography?). The point is that for an enthusiast there's no objective reason they should ever feel like they "should" never purchase another piece of kit. "Enough" is relative to the person. For some photography hobbyists, a point-and-shoot is "enough" - they don't care about gear, just shooting. For others trying new gear is part of the fun and diversion of the hobby.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But dressing shouldn't be a hobby--not if you want any hope of doing it well.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that for you clothing/style has no aspect of a hobby? From above:

I feel more or less done. Virtually anything I want now is only what would be fun to have, not what I need to put together a good outfit.

mcbrown

Reaction score
For reference, Webster's definition of a hobby:

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm saying that dressing well should be organic to your lifestyle, not something you do. Certainly not something you do for fun. It should not be motivated by a love for clothing. It should not be something you can turn on and off. Attitudinally, that's what separates style from costume. And without the right attitude, you really don't have a chance at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads