• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Internet forvm commentary affect your choice of tailor?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread is prompted by the following post today:

Originally Posted by retty
Going by the posts/reviews in this forum, I would think that the tailor is rather competent, although it is my first time with the tailor. Would rather not mention names yet, in case something goes wrong... that would be rather embarrassing!

In my case, it hasn't so far since I started using my tailor before fora time. But, if Ambrosi or Mina from NsM ever to Boston, I will because I learned about them mostly or entirely from the webz and they would replace RTW from Louis.

- B

retty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

In my case, it hasn't so far since I started using my tailor before fora time. But, if Ambrosi or Mina from NsM ever to Boston, I will because I learned about them mostly or entirely from the webz and they would replace RTW from Louis.

- B

Well, as the poster of that post, I would have to say the forum commentary definitely affected my choice. It does make sense that it should for me - being rather new at this with little prior experience, it is probably best to trust wiser members who have tried out the tailors and approved of them. I do concede that there is a degree of subjectivity in one's review of a tailor, but then again, there are usually several objective criteria.

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

I have neither the time nor the inclination to canvas LA, visiting each tailor. Feedback from other SF and AskAndy posters allows me to narrow my options. Of course, once I meet a tailor and see his work, I still try to make my own informed judgements.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes. I saw your Steed suits and have commited myself to never ordering from him.
devil.gif

I keed, I keed.

I think it depends - if an experienced member whom I respect has an opinion to offer then, I will definitely take it into account. Like real life I guess - depends on who's commenting.

ndw

Reaction score
Yes. I was thinking of going to Paul Jheeta. I hear he is a master.

ajv

Reaction score
I haven't ordered anything from tailors for quite some years.
My former tailor died a couple years ago, and as I will need some new stuff I am always interrested to see what some tailors do and read about experiences with them.
I am thinking of planning a trip to Napoli and will certainly visit Volpe and Ambrosi (because I've heard of them here) amongst others.
What SF really did to my taste is that before joining the forum I would only use SCs during week-ends and without a tie, the rest of the week I always wore suits. I suddendly became aware how much a wardrobe can be improved and pretend to be larger than it is by using SCs. Watching some posters (I can think of Vox, PG, MoK, and many others) I suddendly realised than not only could SCs be worn at the office but even those with patch-pockets could.
worship.gif

And now I suddendly need two or three more SCs and office pants.

Adrian

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, actually 100% yes. I had not heard of any of the tailors I use until I read about them on this forum.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the "internet" in general affects my choice, but certain people of the internet, like some memebers of this forum definitely do.

Sanddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes, actually 100% yes. I had not heard of any of the tailors I use until I read about them on this forum.

+1. Have suits in process from 3 different tailors, all learned about here. (What can I say - I like a variety of looks.)

As an aside, when they are complete I'd be willing to post comparative photos if the Forvm would find that worthwhile or informative.

Doxe

Reaction score
Tailors, no. I chose my tailor after asking several people I know and work with where they had their suits made. This form of communication - known as "speaking" - pre-dated the interweb. But the principle is similar - word of mouth recommendation. Albeit from a trusted source in my case.

I still researched the tailor and spoke with him on several occasions about what I wanted. Curiously, many of my SF inspired suggestions -Blazersuit, DB with 3 patch pockets - were met with a negative reaction. Had I suggested a Sciamat style patch ticket pocket the tailor would have flatly refused. And for good reason. Some abominations can only live on the web.

However, based Will's proselytization of My Tailor (even Vox ordered a shirt!) I've decided to place an order when the MT comes through town next week (although PG tends to think poorly of them - oh well). I'm going to get properly sized for this order as I've seen the disastrous results of self-measurement.

I guess that makes me half and half.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
No, I settled on a tailor pre-SF. Besides, I know at least as much about the things that concern me as any of the users who I've encountered here.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My next suit will be MTM from English-American which I learned about on this forum even though they are practically in my back yard. Not a tailor per se but I am a mere aspiring medium-timer.
bigstar[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nein

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes and no. I wouldn't be able to afford to get stuff made with houses like Steed, Rubinacci, Ambrosi, and the rest, though I'd love to give them a shot. Even Chan and PL (for shirts) seems like a risk considering they'd deal with me remotely. Ercoles is a guy like me, from the neighborhood, and is EASILY accessible to me financially (well, as easy isn't the right word there) and geographically. I think we also think in the same ways...again, somewhere our common background comes in handy in the building of our relationship.

Basically, I like what I get, and I enjoy the compliments some give, but its not the be all and end all for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads