• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does hypnosis really work?

ashpool

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of ads for self-hypnosis or through a practitioner to relieve stress, help relax etc. etc. Does anyone actually know if these things work or just fads?

forStyle

Reaction score

If you're sitting on a chair while someone tells you about pretty places, you'll feel less stress and more relaxed.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get a mod to merge this thread with the acupuncture and 20-day water fast one?

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
The first stage of hypnosis is a relaxation/meditation technique that does wonders for reducing stress temporarily. It's a good skill to know on your own so I fully endorse that. I have a long commute with morons on my subway train and an iPod loaded with a 25 minute self-hypnosis track is great. About 10 minutes into it (right before the speaker goes bonkers and starts to tell me about a spirit guide standing in my enchanted garden pouring my hopes and goals into my skull from a magical urn), I'm out cold. And I wake up refreshed, relaxed and happy.

The part where the hypnotist turns you into a non-smoker or non-fat simply by planting suggestions sounds like hooey to me.

But the self-relaxation and breathing technique parts of it are great. Especially if you have a strong imagination. You can really zone out. And usually you feel a lot better than just taking a nap. Also, you get good at it and don't need the audio track and can use the technique to relax while at work or wherever.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes. I am a licensed hyponothrapist on the side, actually. If you paypal me $500 per hour (will need an advance deposit on the first session), I will run you through my IM-based hypnosis program. Am I pricey? Well, you tell me. If you want real results, you've gotta pay real money for them.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, hypnosis works.

Here's the deal. Hypnosis puts you into the first level of sleep. So can meditation and a few other somewhat similar things.

That first level of sleep is the same one you are in early in the morning when you are almost awake, but not quite. Have you ever had a noise or something in the "real world" happen, and it gets incorporated into the dream you are having? That's the state you are in when you are hypnotized.
It's sort of a combination of conscious thought (the sounds you here) and subconscious thought (your dreams).

So when you are in that state it is possible to "play" with your subconscious - and/or feed it things like "I have to quit smoking" or whatever. Those thoughts are then in your subconscious and run sort of "under the radar" for your benefit.

When you figure out just how powerful your subconscious is, it is a huge revelation.

I also understand it is difficult for some to "believe" in this stuff until they either understand it, or work with it and have it work.

ashpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verno Inferno
The first stage of hypnosis is a relaxation/meditation technique that does wonders for reducing stress temporarily. It's a good skill to know on your own so I fully endorse that. I have a long commute with morons on my subway train and an iPod loaded with a 25 minute self-hypnosis track is great. About 10 minutes into it (right before the speaker goes bonkers and starts to tell me about a spirit guide standing in my enchanted garden pouring my hopes and goals into my skull from a magical urn), I'm out cold. And I wake up refreshed, relaxed and happy.

The part where the hypnotist turns you into a non-smoker or non-fat simply by planting suggestions sounds like hooey to me.

But the self-relaxation and breathing technique parts of it are great. Especially if you have a strong imagination. You can really zone out. And usually you feel a lot better than just taking a nap. Also, you get good at it and don't need the audio track and can use the technique to relax while at work or wherever.

What's the name of the track if you don't mind me asking?

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
What's the name of the track if you don't mind me asking?

Guided Relaxation, by Kelly Howell.

You can find all sorts of similar self-relaxation things on iTunes. I'm told the key is to find someone whose voice doesn't annoy you. I kinda like Howell's tone.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dunno. Do you think these are the droids you're looking for? 'Cause they're not.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A psychologist I know used to use, sort of accidentally, a little hypnotism with CBT type treatments.

Hypnotism as seen on tv or peddled by self help programmes is pretty much nonsense - the audience or consumer is expecting something to happen, they are complicit in their hypnotism. They are playing along without really realising.

Actual hypnotism does 'work' but it isn't anything like it is normally portrayed in the media, you probably can't use it to make someone believe, against their will, that they are a chicken. Whether it can help you stop smoking I am not sure, but buying a hypnotism dvd or some such definitely won't unless you are pretty damn suggestible. I think when it comes to stress and so on it probably works as well as any other intense relaxation.

dave333

Reaction score
Part of my school sponsored graduation party was a hypnotist. It does seem that, as long as you allow yourself to do it, the hypnotist can get you to do certain things in your trance state. As a way to lose weight or something like, doubtful. It is very entertaining though.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
Part of my school sponsored graduation party was a hypnotist. It does seem that, as long as you allow yourself to do it, the hypnotist can get you to do certain things in your trance state. As a way to lose weight or something like, doubtful. It is very entertaining though.

+1

Freshman year we had a hyponotist at our dorm. I was very much falling for it, although I consciously resisted it.

About a dozen people ended up going on stage and making fools of themselves. Including a very good friend of mine, who swears up and down that he thought his shoe was a puppy. I completely believe him too.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does work very well for stress reduction and relaxation. You can get there (trance) pretty easily yourself by making your exhalation 2X as long as your inhalation. So, breathe in 1-2-3, exhale 1-2-3-4-5-6. Do that 5-10 times and you'll feel much more relaxed. Trance is a very natural state. While driving, ever get to your destination and were unable to recall the trip? Trance state. Do NOT do the double breathing technique while driving.

I took 200 hours of hypnosis and hypnotherapy training and have hypnotized/been hypnotized hundreds of times. There are certain things for which it's useful. Look up Dr. Milton Erickson for applications to psychiatry and medicine. Erickson was the best, to the point that modern hypnotic techniques are refered to as Ericksonian Hypnosis. Look up Derren Brown for impressive street hypnosis tricks - many Youtube vids. He specializes in covert hypnosis/NLP methods.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
That first level of sleep is the same one you are in early in the morning when you are almost awake, but not quite...So when you are in that state it is possible to "play" with your subconscious - and/or feed it things like "I have to quit smoking" or whatever.

Damn it, you need to be at least in the third dream level for this to work. 1st dream level just won't cut it.

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Look up Derren Brown for impressive street hypnosis tricks - many Youtube vids. He specializes in covert hypnosis/NLP methods.

+1
Derren Brown is terrific!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads