Does Hickey-Freeman make suits for Brooks Bros?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fkl118, Nov 27, 2004.

1. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I just bought a new suit on Ebay: Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, Made in USA. I was expecting a Martin Greenfield as discussed in the other recent thread. However, the two parts of the waist clip are printed with H-F (see below). Is this suit by Hickey-Freeman? It's recently made; the manufacture date is April 2004. Just wondering. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

A quick survey of my pants turned up two odd pants with the same HF closure that are assuredly not made by Hickey Freeman.

If you doubt the Golden Fleece suit was made by Greenfield, it may be of the previous generation that was made by Pietrofesa, the company that took over Brooks' in-house manufacture before going broke.

3. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Naw, the suit is perfectly fine. I was just a little confused.

4. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

The "HF" on the metal closure has nothing to do with Hickey Freeman or H. Freeman & Son. I have that "HF" on other USA suits. Incidentally, I just check a suit from a famous "custom" tailor (which is made by Greenfield), and it has the "HF". Hickey does not manufacture for Brooks, and as far as I know it never did. Martin Greenfield makes the Golden Fleece (USA made) and MTM. Look inside the right, inside pocket of the coat. If there's a UNITE tag (the clothing union), then it's a Greenfield made right in the good, old USA (Brooklyn, that is). [​IMG]