• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does "good design" carry over to all aspects of your life?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always think about this when I'm looking at a picture of someone here dressed in 1k+ of clothing, standing in their veneered 70's kitchen. My observation is that the posters who have consistently good looks also have a good design sense in their homes. I also see a sense of obsession carry over for many here into things like audio equipment, food, coffee et cetera. I'd be interested to learn if sf members are clear about areas of their lives that are not integrated into their sense of design and if so whether that is an area that you just don't care about or see value in, or if you simply haven't had the resources to deal with it yet?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, I think I have a pursuit in perfection. I try to achieve that in every aspect of my life.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yeah I guess, I like nice kitchen appliances and furniture. I sorta mix it too as, say the mirror you see in my shots, is some custom made wood job while most of what I own is of the white lacquered or plasticky looking variety. The low point is bookcases as I've got some Ikea crap and have never bothered upgrading, I really gotta think about it as it messes with the overall effect. Every time I drop at say, Roche Bobois, the library look sorta overdone. Might just get something custom.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
simply haven't had the resources to deal with it yet?

I would love an eames recliner and ottoman, a smeg refrigerator...

Alas, no resources.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to Rye's place, and he clearly has integrated good design into many aspects of his life. Me, I like clothing. I don't really care about anything else. I have a rudimentary understanding of interior design and architecture (my father was an achitect by training, and I spent many trips looking at buidings), but neither resonate with me at all. Left to my own devices, I would live in a completely unfurnished place with a bed, a tv, and a few computers, and probably a couch, and would accumulate clutter (fabric swatches, old magazines and catalogues, old samples, etc...) until the place became a fire hazard. Things like dinnerware I have absolutely no interest in either, though I do like and appreciate good food and food presentation.

Brigden

Reaction score
This reminds me of the blog Stuff White People Like.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
a good majority of our home furnishings are mid-century modern (Heywood Wakefield etc)....our flatware and dishware is atomic era Salem Northstar....etc. So for the most part it does, tho I've been meaning to upgrade my bedroom furniture to all Heywood-Wakefield pieces but that hasnt happened yet.

Our appliances fit with our vintage-inspired aesthetic, but our kitchen doesnt since it's "OEM" so maybe in 2010 we'll completely redo the kitchen with new cabinets of our choosing

Now that my wife just got her Mini Cooper, we have matching his n hers that look like they came outta our closet, but when I get my new Mini Clubman delivered in 2 months it will REALLY be a matching set, even moreso than now.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would say that I am obsessed with good design, and it influences not just my choice of clothing but also my tastes (and purchases) in furniture, appliances, small objects, automobiles, etc. I guess I like a "total package" approach to living.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden

This whole site does sometimes.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love 'good' interior design, but that makes dressing in head to toe couture look affordable. So I confine my tastes to the small stuff I can afford, a lot of boutique crafters, small artists, places like 20x200.com for prints, my own photographs, etc..

In the interests of full disclosure, there's a Battlestar Galactica propaganda poster I kind of want to get framed. There's no way in hell I'd ever just put up the actual logo, but this is well-done WWII print pastiche.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I always think about this when I'm looking at a picture of someone here dressed in 1k+ of clothing, standing in their veneered 70's kitchen. My observation is that the posters who have consistently good looks also have a good design sense in their homes. I also see a sense of obsession carry over for many here into things like audio equipment, food, coffee et cetera. I'd be interested to learn if sf members are clear about areas of their lives that are not integrated into their sense of design and if so whether that is an area that you just don't care about or see value in, or if you simply haven't had the resources to deal with it yet?

I think so. I'm a minimalist at heart, which shows in my clothes, my furniture and pretty much anything I own. I like clean, neat and "noise free" design in (almost) everything. I even buy toothbrushes by how they look. For me, the design is more important than the brand, so price and quality are often irrelevant when I buy something. If I like it, I get it, regardless of who's name is on it--or rather isn't on it. If I decide to spend a serious amount of money on something, I am willing to wait (possibly a very long time) until I find something that fits my criteria for good design. Sometimes I will buy a cheap alternative in the mean time, but I don't like to compromise.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden

cheers.gif

bsyde82

Reaction score
I obsessed over my apartment decor (imprudently so as I did this while in grad school) and loved having a living space that could compliment my wardrobe and vice versa...like one big integrated style haven.

and even things like electronics, such as a tv will require major style considerations...which is why I prefer sony lcds.

also, I'm in no way a foodie, but I enjoy going out to eat, and I'm very much drawn to a place that has a unique ambience and style...so much that it could probably make up for mediocre food quality.

there's probably more examples, but thats what i can think of right now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads