• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does gaining/losing fat/muscle affect suit shoulder fit?

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
Hope this is not a dumb question, but Does gaining/losing fat/muscle affect suit shoulder fit or is the fit determined by genetics only?

Would the deltoid size affect shoulder fit or is it more relevant for sleeve/armhole fit?

I work out and go on weigh gain and loss cycles. I usually stay between 160-180lbs throughout the year. I’m currently at my lowest and want to purchase a suit and tailor it to my current dimensions.

zanci

Reaction score
I used to always up and down a size in my suits. Such a hassle.

Just lean bulk and buy the size that fits you when you are not so ripped, so the size still fits you just before you start to cut...

andrewmrsid

Reaction score
It will absolutely affect your suit fits, 20 pounds often equals a full size. If you wear suits a lot and will keep bouncing in weight, then get some skinny suits and some strong man suits.

If you don't, then get one at 170 lbs, and it should fit decently when you go up or down

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
It will absolutely affect your suit fits, 20 pounds often equals a full size. If you wear suits a lot and will keep bouncing in weight, then get some skinny suits and some strong man suits.

If you don't, then get one at 170 lbs, and it should fit decently when you go up or down
Would it affect the shoulder fit?

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
Would it affect the shoulder fit?

I guess it depends (incredibly generally speaking) on a couple things:

1.) do you have bad posture? Lifting with correct form can help correct bad posture, which may result in you standing with shoulders back, rather than rolled forward, which might accentuate "wider shoulders"

2.) are you doing a lot of chest/shoulder exercises? a wider chest will pull clothing more across the shoulders, increasing shoulder mass will mean, well, bigger shoulders. If you're asking will lifting increase your size, the answer is - with a correct eating regime, yes, without a doubt. Is it exponential? No. Naturally, it depends on what exercises you are doing and what your calorie intake/breakdown is.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit will vary with your body .

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
I guess it depends (incredibly generally speaking) on a couple things:

1.) do you have bad posture? Lifting with correct form can help correct bad posture, which may result in you standing with shoulders back, rather than rolled forward, which might accentuate "wider shoulders"

2.) are you doing a lot of chest/shoulder exercises? a wider chest will pull clothing more across the shoulders, increasing shoulder mass will mean, well, bigger shoulders. If you're asking will lifting increase your size, the answer is - with a correct eating regime, yes, without a doubt. Is it exponential? No. Naturally, it depends on what exercises you are doing and what your calorie intake/breakdown is.

1. When I lift, I always try to squeeze my shoulders blades together, which I think is the best posture for lifting at least. So, they're not rolled forward. I stand with my shoulders back. Though occasionally, especially in the past, I do sort somewhat hunch my back. Nowadays, I try to stand up straight.

2. I typically stick to compound exercises. I rarely isolate any body parts. My chest takes a long time to grow. My arms and legs grow the fastest, and they're disproportionate with the rest of my body. I really haven't paid much attention to my shoulder growth.

Colrais

Reaction score
More important than deltoid size in my mind is deltoid shape, as determined by genetics. Some people are squarer than others, and having naturally sloped shoulders can be unfavorable for certain constructions/fits. If you have ever looked at some of the older shoulder-construction threads, there's discussion of how iGent-approved natural/unpadded jackets tend to disfavor a rounded athletic shoulder, and either a strong shoulder construction with the appropriate padding, or an extended shoulder line, or both, is desirable to compensate.

If the difference in your shoulder width is a full size between leaning out and bulking, it's very possible, perhaps even the norm, that the constructions you favor may not be able to accommodate that full range. Typically athletes like yourself have a spring/fall wardrobe for cutting and bulking. However, Dirnelli tells this anecdote:
Here’s the test: Ohnona once pointed out that you can tell great italian RTW by trying on a suit one size too large and one size too small — only the italians know how to make suits where you’ll still look great in the wrong size. I’ve tested this maxim time and again, and it’s totally true, it’s like a sartorial magic trick.

Nothing will be able to help you out here like trying things on for yourself. And so look to your shoulder shape and the jacket you're trying on, and imagine if the shoulder were one inch larger/smaller, and how the jacket shoulder's own physics would rearrange. Better yet, try the Ohnona test.

Last edited:

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
More important than deltoid size in my mind is deltoid shape, as determined by genetics. Some people are squarer than others, and having naturally sloped shoulders can be unfavorable for certain constructions/fits. If you have ever looked at some of the older shoulder-construction threads, there's discussion of how iGent-approved natural/unpadded jackets tend to disfavor a rounded athletic shoulder, and either a strong shoulder construction with the appropriate padding, or an extended shoulder line, or both, is desirable to compensate.

If the difference in your shoulder width is a full size between leaning out and bulking, it's very possible, perhaps even the norm, that the constructions you favor may not be able to accommodate that full range. Typically athletes like yourself have a spring/fall wardrobe for cutting and bulking. However, Dirnelli tells this anecdote:

Nothing will be able to help you out here like trying things on for yourself. And so look to your shoulder shape and the jacket you're trying on, and imagine if the shoulder were one inch larger/smaller, and how the jacket shoulder's own physics would rearrange. Better yet, try the Ohnona test.
By "sloped," do you basically mean one with bigger trap muscles since traps naturally make the shoulder "sloped?"

Colrais

Reaction score
By "sloped," do you basically mean one with bigger trap muscles since traps naturally make the shoulder "sloped?"

Yes, both the traps and delts will affect the shoulder line (and delts of a large surface area, rounded by the accumulation of muscle and fat). An unstructured shoulder on person with trap/delt curvature will lack a clean line. Separately, a shoulder line that was designed to stop at the acromion process and transition at a sharp angle to the arm will see the shoulder protrude beyond that transition.

Here is the image given jefferyd from that thread. In this case he would want an extended shoulder line, but to do that would require some additional padding/structure.

Last edited:

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope this isn't another dumb question, but if you go back to working out, is it possible that a shirt with dropped shoulders may fit better because the shoulder seam falls on your natural shoulder if your chest and shoulder muscles expand (and will the opposite happen if you stop working out)? Or does this not happen and your shoulder width for clothes should be consistent?

nubirth

Reaction score
I eliminated this problem by concentrating on waistcoats instead of sport coats as daily wear. I'm looking for just two navy sportcoats for more formal looking attire.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asking from another perspective, if you lost weight, is it possible to wear some of your old shirts again by working out and bulking up your chest and shoulders? Or can dropped shoulders not be fixed like that?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope this is not a dumb question, but Does gaining/losing fat/muscle affect suit shoulder fit or is the fit determined by genetics only?

Yes. In my case I only weigh 7 lbs more than I did when I ran 20-30 miles/week 20 years ago.
I now walk 10-12 miles/ week due to sciatica and other problems from running
However, I still have some jackets/suits from then and they don't fit across the chest shoulders.
Also, the body may change due to age as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics