1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does Fat Get Jiggly Before You Lose It?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Khayembii Communique, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I've been on a pretty intense cardio/lifting/diet program for the past week and a half, like 14 more weeks to go haha. But anyways I've noticed that my spare tire has gotten super jiggly. I haven't been able to find any science to explain it, but from random internet nerds it is apparently something that happens before you lose it or as you lose it.

I'm also on 15g creatine monohydrate daily (down from 20g/day last week) and know that this causes water retention. So maybe I've just lost fat and gained water weight from the creatine?

Has anyone else experienced this? When I say jiggly I mean like really jiggly and squishy. [​IMG]

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

no but this is true for your face

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

You're probably just better hydrated.

4. Khayembii Communique

I doubt it. I've always constantly drank water at work; the intake just increased due to the creatine so that's why I'm thinking it has to do with retention from that.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

you've lost a bit of fat so your skin is looser - hence more jiggly.

your skin will tighten up after a while if you keep losing it/maintain for a while.

6. coop86

coop86 Senior member

Depending on how big your spare was compared to its size now it could be extra skin that hasn't tightened up, or just extra water retention from the creatine. I was under the impression that 5g a day of monohydrate was the normal dosing unless one is in a loading phase.

7. scientific

scientific Senior member

most likely your muscles are temporarily swole thus pushing out the fat layer

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Actually- what you describe is true for various reasons. It's a positive sign of your progress.

9. Khayembii Communique

Yeah I just slept through my morning cardio, but my lovehandles are like half of what they were last night haha. So yes, this is awesome.

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

11. freeAgent

freeAgent Senior member

Yeah, I would think this is due to changes in your muscle. I've noticed that any extra fat I have around my midsection (which isn't too much) frequently feels looser for a day or two after I work it out.

12. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Thanks, Hartmann..... I was just about to post about squishy fat that Lyle talks about.

14. Khayembii Communique

There are no studies to back that up. It's my best guess too, but it's just broscience:
    For nearly 20 years I looked for research to support this, I was never sure if it was based on something from the 50’s or he just pulled it out of thin air as an explanation. Recently, one paper did suggest that visceral fat can fill up with water after massive weight loss but that’s about it.

15. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

sure does. i thought it was because the fat is starting to "dissolve" as your body starts burning it up, making it flabbier and more liquidy. that could be BS of course. maybe its just the looser skin before it tightens. anyway, it starts looking looser and that is a very good sign.

16. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

An important thing to note is that adipose cells do not dissolve nor dissappear, expept by lipo or surgery. What is inside them (the fat) does. That's why it is so easy to regain pounds.