Does every man need a good quality black captoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acousticfoodie, Jul 24, 2011.

1. carlbug

carlbug New Member

why not? it is welcome... it is modern and elegant in the same time

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Totally disagree. I live in 'today's world' and if I were to see you out at night in anything looking the least bit dressy in brown shoes I would assume you had just rolled in from the farm and hadn't a clue what to wear.

By the way - I HATE the traditional black brogued oxfords as well - and I've never worn a pair in my life. Nobody's saying the shoe has be some old clunker from Allen Edmunds - by all means find yourself something stylish - just find at least one in black for nice dinners in the evenings, weddings, funerals, job interviews etc.

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Whilst I would agree with 'quality' I do not entirely agree on the need in the twenty first century.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

So suggestions on other brands? I find the AE standard black captoe to be pretty ugly honestly..

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You ain't in the modern world mentally. You may be there physically, but your mindset is hardly typical these days.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

You have gotten several compliments from strangers on a pair of black park avenues? Really? i mean you can hardly find a more unassuming shoe.

+1...that is ridiculous

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I'm fine with your assessment - as I presume it comes from the narrow perspective of a modern American man who hasn't seen much of the world beyond his immediate surroundings - Am I right? I apologize in advance if I am mistaken.

I should point out to you that I travel the world in some pretty sophisticated circles and my opinions in regard to black shoes vs. brown shoes are not exactly simply mine nor in any way archaic in the vast majority of the planet. About the only location in the world that I can think of that doesn't still consider brown shoes in dressy situations after dark to be of dubious merit are the hinterlands of the US and much of Italy.

But I would like to add that if you wish to be a 'Typical American' when it comes to style knock yourself out. Isn't the goal to be more than just like everyone else? It certainly is in my book.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Okay, all in unison now . . .

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Wow, this troll sounds almost normal! :fonz:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Wow - didn't mean to come off as a troll in any way shape or form Achilles. Sorry.

I can assure you I'm a perfectly normal person who happens to have an opinion on a topic for which the original poster asked for feedback - that's all.

I see that many people on here don't like my opinion - and that's fine with me too.

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

You are entitled to your own opinion, but when you start making assumptions about people such as this, "as I presume it comes from the narrow perspective of a modern American man who hasn't seen much of the world beyond his immediate surroundings" you come off as trollish.

I can appreciate your opinion, but be careful with assumptions/what you post about other people you don't know. They are entitled to their own opinion as well.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I would, in fact, argue that the man who only wears black at night has the narrow view. I wear whatever I feel like, depending on the occasion, my clothing, etc. Sometimes thats black others its brown. And I assure you that I am not anywhere near the farm. But I do find it somewhat amusing that a guy who says he travels in some sophisticated circles lives in atlanta, but thats me.

13. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Why even bother with black at a funeral? It's a sad enough occasion without having to wear black shoes. There really is no need for anyone to own any black shoes these days

14. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

No idea why one would only wear black at night.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Shots fired...