• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Crocket and Jones make wider shoes?

detroiter

Reaction score
Looking on the website, they say the clifford's come in width E, which i believe is a US D, correct? I wear a US E or a EE if it is available, does C&J make a US E?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. For some models.

detroiter

Reaction score
So the website would say if it came in more widths than just the E? damn

Are there any comparable shoes to the clifford wingtips around the same price from another brand possibly? I want to own my first english shoes and the cliffords seem to fit the bill, but no way I can wear a UK E.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All "Es" are not equal due to different lasts.

To start try the:

Also try different sizing and look at G widths, although these may have more volume than you need

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Question: Does Crockett and Jones make wider shoes?

Answer: Absolutely not! Crockett and Jones only makes shoes as wide as the shoes made by Crockett and Jones

Additional info: In order to purchase shoes that are wider than Crockett and Jones shoes you should contact another manufacturer because as much as Crockett and Jones would like to make shoes wider than the shoes currently made by Crockett and Jones it is bound by the laws of logic not to overcome this obstacle

GBer

Reaction score
Try giving Bodileys a call. I've found them to be helpful.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or alternatively, ask C&J for a copy of their catalogue (you can do this using their website).

It lists all the shoes, on all the lasts, with all the different widths. They have quite a few models that come in both UK E- and G-widths (the Drummond, on the 348 last, springs to mind as an example) and they also do quite a few shoes in both a UK E- and F-width (the Hallam, on the 348 last, springs to mind as an example).

As others have noted, some lasts are more forgiving than others, too.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If at all possible -- which, admittedly, it isn't always -- try on some C&J shoes in different lasts before buying some over the internet. There are a lot of quirks and idiosyncrasies to English lasts in general, to say nothing of C&J lasts specifically. It's very hard to get a good sense for the fit without trial.

There are also sellers willing to work with you a bit to provide some guidance. I buy most of my C&Js from Pediwear, for instance. They're not always the best when it comes to shipping speed, but they're very good on the customer service end. If it's your first time with C&J, they will want to make sure you have as good a sense as possible for the fit of what you're buying.

Aim twice, shoot once here.

detroiter

Reaction score
Yes, very informative indeed. I will order a catalog. Where can I find out about local retailers? I looked on their website, but it only lists c&j stores. I am looking for something in Detroit (obviously) I know we have to have at least 1 store that might carry them.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
That link is far from comprehensive. It only shows shoes that come in G (and D) fittings. There are still a number of models that come in F fittings that Bodileys also carries.
I don't consider F to be "wide." F, although wider than E, is a medium width.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
Yes, very informative indeed. I will order a catalog. Where can I find out about local retailers? I looked on their website, but it only lists c&j stores. I am looking for something in Detroit (obviously) I know we have to have at least 1 store that might carry them.

You can ask C&J where the nearest retailer is. They can provide that information to you. Not sure if there are any in Detroit these days...

If these will be your first "English" shoes, I suggest you at least try them on. Or else you might regret it. IMO the lasts are different from your American shoes (e.g. Alden, AE). Rule of thumb is different shoemaker or model = different last = different fit.

If this is your first big purchase, I cannot emphasize enough that you should try them on. Otherwise you might spend $500+ and end up selling them on eBay or B&S for far less.

detroiter

Reaction score
Ya I will definitely try them on first before purchasing. I would hope somewhere around here sells them, not in the city of course, but I would imagine somewhere in the burbs sells them. Regardless, I will contact them I guess.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a pair of BB Peal bluchers marked 10E 240 be an American 10 (or even 10.5) D? That would make sense to me as I was always told that the Peal brand did not come in wide widths.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads