• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Brooks Brothers ever do extra markdowns on their clearance merchandise?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does Brooks Brothers ever do extra markdowns on their clearance merchandise? They have a couple of things on sale on their site that I'd like to buy, but I'd like them even more at 75% off instead.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Does Brooks Brothers ever do extra markdowns on their clearance merchandise? They have a couple of things on sale on their site that I'd like to buy, but I'd like them even more at 75% off instead.

no, but they permit double dipping when then run a 15% or 25% off your order.

you can't count on your shirt size or suit size making it to that level, but the accessories, socks and shoes very often seem to make it to that level.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Brooks salesman in Chicago told me that in-store items never go lower than 50% off. I was surprised to learn this.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, I guess I'll keep any eye out for them on ebay instead. Thanks though!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Damn, I guess I'll keep any eye out for them on ebay instead. Thanks though!

stuff can go lower on sale in the store, though. the shirts seem to stay at 50% off, but the suits apparently will go lower.

here's my feeling about BB stuff on ebay:

okay for shoes, overcoats and suits. and possibly the occasional weird accessory. trousers tend to be of the overpriced 346 type.

bad idea for nwt shirts (overpriced on ebay, and sometimes have holes) and ties (tend to have pulls). I'll much rather get them at half price from the online site - i've bought 5 or 6 on ebay, and 2 of them have been flawed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yeah, I mostly agree I think. The stuff I was looking at were a bunch of accessories and that LP wool down vest. I don't really need any of them, so I'll just wait and see what turns up later.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The Brooks salesman in Chicago told me that in-store items never go lower than 50% off. I was surprised to learn this.

He is wrong, was this Mich Ave ? Also , it depends sales person to sales person.

The 3 Piece GF Flannel for this Winter was around $467 from $1900 the day after. I think it was on 50% sale for suits, then the day after 15% and I asked about a corporate discount code and they took an extra 15%. The corporate usually doesn't work but the salesman made it work.

andyw

Reaction score
I think it only happens in their stores and on a store by store basis. My most consistent luck is at the Garden Stae Plaza Mall in NJ, where I have found Golden Fleece suits at or under 75% off. Last year I picked up a Gray Glen Plaid GF suit in 36S no less for $595 and last Friday I saw a brown multipstripe GF suit in 38S for $498! I would have snatched it up but the fabric was not to my liking.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
He is wrong, was this Mich Ave ? Also , it depends sales person to sales person.

The 3 Piece GF Flannel for this Winter was around $467 from $1900 the day after. I think it was on 50% sale for suits, then the day after 15% and I asked about a corporate discount code and they took an extra 15%. The corporate usually doesn't work but the salesman made it work.

Yes, Michigan Avenue. He tried the corporate discount on the 50% items but it didn't work. I'll be back in Chicago on Wednesday to pick up altered items and will inquire further about the policy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads