• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Bespoke Really Bring real benefit for my proportionate figure?

Dempsy444

Reaction score
We all like bespoke. I'm having a suit made now from SR, and am looking to get another suit. I've begun to question whether bespoke is the right way to go for someone like me since I have a fairly proportionate figure. With bespoke, you always take a risk that the tailor may be off and the workmanship may not be as fine as a good italian hand made suit like Kiton. By my math, i can get a made to order Kiton or Brioni for roughly the same price as a SR bespoke. But with Kiton or Brioni, I know what I am getting and it is well made. With SR, I have to wait for quite some time and I'm not sure what I am going to get. There is a bit of trade off with bespoke promising the better fit. But really, for a figure like mine, will it?

I'm 6'1 205 lbs. I have a 7 inch drop with a 45 inch chest. No real sloping shoulder or any other issue according to my tailor.

any thoughts on this?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait until your bespoke suit is completed and then ask the same question again perhaps?

Dempsy444

Reaction score
That is sensible advice. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait since it won't be done until early next year (commissioning it from the US which drags the process out) and I am looking for a new suit for my wedding in May.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why don't you go ahead and get yourself a Kiton.

Next year when you have your SR suit, then make a comparison and post a review here.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive had the opportunity to try out kiton/brioni/attolini/tom ford/isaia and one of my friends oxxford suits for RTW, and for bespoke NSM and steed. i have to say that even though rtw fits me perfectly with just the waist taken in a bit my favorite suit the one from steed. Feeling wise they are just on a completely different level. If you have the money to spare try one of the firms from saville row you wont be disappointed. I can only really recommend Edwin Debois from steed as he is the only one ive had the pleasure of commissioning a suit from. TBH though if you have an athletic frame try out Tom Ford. I got a hand me down from a friend of mine and i just keep finding myself reaching for it every time i have to dress up.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your missing several points though which you may or may not care about:

1. Your Savile row suit is unique to you and i always think the process and the prestige of that counts for something.

2. You will probably find that even though your figure is good your movement in the suit will be better and it will feel more comfortable. I am doing basted fittings for a client now who is really into his clothes, he's a German fellow who used flew to fly to Naples to get his bespoke suits made before coming to me in NYC. He started off on MTM but now we are doing Bespoke for him. At his try on he commented that it felt so comfortable that it was like wearing a sweater.

3. At the end of the day (and too right Im biased) English tailoring is still the best in the world. The English are the originators, when its done well its the best. I think English tailoring at a high level is like French cuisine its the finest in the world.

4. English tailoring is maybe more rough round the edges in some ways but I think this is part of the charm, its also a different more robust look. Its like talking about English shoes with thicker soles vs the Italian shoes. Those Italian shoes are more dainty but they last a season. A savile row suit can be expected to last a very, very long time, if your making it out of a heavy cloth perhaps a lifetime.

5. If you like Kiton fabrics and the luxury look, get your Savile row tailor to break out the Dormeuil and Loro piana books.

I can see though the appeal of getting something right away or quickly. In fact my highest spending client at Richard James (who bought everything in the store twice every season) always bought OTR or MTM because he didn't have the patience for Bespoke.

Last edited:

mlongano

Reaction score
Since you're from the United States why not give Chris Despos a try?

Less traveling (Chicago/Dallas versus London), and probably every bit as good if not better than SR.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since you're from the United States why not give Chris Despos a try?

Less traveling (Chicago/Dallas versus London), and probably every bit as good if not better than SR.

What makes you think he's as good if not better than a Savile Row tailor? I don't want to get into a ***** fest just interested, I don't know much about Chris.

MrFarnon

Reaction score
Nick Lopez in Houston is supposed to be pretty good as well, if you are in Dallas.

mlongano

Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is sensible advice. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait since it won't be done until early next year (commissioning it from the US which drags the process out) and I am looking for a new suit for my wedding in May.

Since you are on a very tight schedule, its better communicate well with your tailor or just fly across the atlantic to speed up things.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the SR garment is delivered the question will be answered. Kiton and Brioni are shite beside it.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes you think he's as good if not better than a Savile Row tailor? I don't want to get into a ***** fest just interested, I don't know much about Chris.

My statement was based on Despos' reputation, as well as research such as can be found at the link below. I hope someday to commission a Despos garment.

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2011/02/despos.html

Very interesting. Would love to send something in but I guess the garments are toast after the dissection. I'll send something in if there's a kill, but I rather try to avoid these!

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We all like bespoke. I'm having a suit made now from SR, and am looking to get another suit. I've begun to question whether bespoke is the right way to go for someone like me since I have a fairly proportionate figure. With bespoke, you always take a risk that the tailor may be off and the workmanship may not be as fine as a good italian hand made suit like Kiton. By my math, i can get a made to order Kiton or Brioni for roughly the same price as a SR bespoke. But with Kiton or Brioni, I know what I am getting and it is well made. With SR, I have to wait for quite some time and I'm not sure what I am going to get. There is a bit of trade off with bespoke promising the better fit. But really, for a figure like mine, will it?

I'm 6'1 205 lbs. I have a 7 inch drop with a 45 inch chest. No real sloping shoulder or any other issue according to my tailor.

any thoughts on this?

Fit is so individual that you won't really know until you try both. Fit varies from firm to firm (could even vary with different cutters in the same firm).

I think reasons for trying bespoke also include curiosity and wanting to try the experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads