• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Use Electric Typewriters?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get rid of a couple of old electric typewriters, but I would rather give them away than dump them in the trash. Does anyone have any idea if anyone still uses these for any reason? I know there are some writers who are 'old school', but those people usually have antique manual machines that they're sentimentally attached to. I don't know if anyone would have any use for electrics.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I need to get rid of a couple of old electric typewriters, but I would rather give them away than dump them in the trash. Does anyone have any idea if anyone still uses these for any reason? I know there are some writers who are 'old school', but those people usually have antique manual machines that they're sentimentally attached to. I don't know if anyone would have any use for electrics.

Well, they can be used for torture and interrogation! There was this old IBM electric I had used in the past, it would randomly zap me. Ah, bad grounding and steel body, bliss!

operationexpat

Reaction score
I'm sure Goodwill or Salvation Army would take them. They take just about anything.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're very good for forging old letters and documents, particularly the IBM Selectrics with the ability to delete letters, even in very old documents.

Ahem - or so I've heard.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of law firms still have electric typewriters around for such oddities as completing government forms that don't have writable abode versions on-line but must be typed for submission

so they still do have application

find a store in your city/town that services them and they may buy them for resale or parts

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sometimes use a manual typewriter for short notes and other things.

I've also seen electric typewriters being used in doctors' offices and police stations.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good ideas, folks. Thanks.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the typewriter to the word-processor for a lot of letters and quick notes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it is still widely used here in the third world. specially the non-electric kind. i think whoever makes typewriter nowadays have 3rd world government offices as their target market.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use an Olivetti Valentine, which was by Ettore Sottsass:
12983002.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is one sweet machine. vintage?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yes, late '60s. It is in the permenant collection of the MOMA along with the Olivetti Lettera 22.
labelking, there is a sottsass exhibition at LACMA going on until the beginning of june.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads