1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Use Electric Typewriters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Margaret, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I need to get rid of a couple of old electric typewriters, but I would rather give them away than dump them in the trash. Does anyone have any idea if anyone still uses these for any reason? I know there are some writers who are 'old school', but those people usually have antique manual machines that they're sentimentally attached to. I don't know if anyone would have any use for electrics.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I need to get rid of a couple of old electric typewriters, but I would rather give them away than dump them in the trash. Does anyone have any idea if anyone still uses these for any reason? I know there are some writers who are 'old school', but those people usually have antique manual machines that they're sentimentally attached to. I don't know if anyone would have any use for electrics.

Well, they can be used for torture and interrogation! There was this old IBM electric I had used in the past, it would randomly zap me. Ah, bad grounding and steel body, bliss!

3. operationexpat

operationexpat Well-Known Member

I'm sure Goodwill or Salvation Army would take them. They take just about anything.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

They're very good for forging old letters and documents, particularly the IBM Selectrics with the ability to delete letters, even in very old documents.

Ahem - or so I've heard.

5. hermes

hermes Senior member

a lot of law firms still have electric typewriters around for such oddities as completing government forms that don't have writable abode versions on-line but must be typed for submission

so they still do have application

find a store in your city/town that services them and they may buy them for resale or parts

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I sometimes use a manual typewriter for short notes and other things.

I've also seen electric typewriters being used in doctors' offices and police stations.

7. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Good ideas, folks. Thanks.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I prefer the typewriter to the word-processor for a lot of letters and quick notes.

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

it is still widely used here in the third world. specially the non-electric kind. i think whoever makes typewriter nowadays have 3rd world government offices as their target market.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I use an Olivetti Valentine, which was by Ettore Sottsass: [​IMG]

11. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

that is one sweet machine. vintage?

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

that is one sweet machine. vintage?
    Yes, late '60s. It is in the permenant collection of the MOMA along with the Olivetti Lettera 22.

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Yes, late '60s. It is in the permenant collection of the MOMA along with the Olivetti Lettera 22.
    labelking, there is a sottsass exhibition at LACMA going on until the beginning of june.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    LK, that is an awesome-looking machine! I'm jealous.