• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Still Wear Square-Toed Shoes?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
does admitting to it means getting kicked out off this forum?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends how egregious we're talking about here. There are elegant squared chisel toes and then there are Frankenstein shoes and everything in between. I have some Bally loafers that are borderline too square (oversquare?) which I will occasionally break out, but I won't wear my Kenneth Cole bricks anymore. FWIW, I think the slightly squared, slightly chiseled toe such as the 337 is one of the best looking.

stach

Reaction score
Just remembered I have a pair of fake Tods with kind of a chisel toe -

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh I have a pair of square toed Diesel sneakers that I sometimes bust out for fun.

kittybobitty

Reaction score
I think the younger guys are a lot more likely to be victimized by that type of, shall we say, "popular" wear. As one becomes more seasoned the desire to look like just another one of the kids in the Mall or like a some model in GQ (which has bcome almost putrid with out Art...) will start to wane.

But hopefully you will keep a few photos to show your sons how you used to get 'played like a fiddle' by the fashionistas of your world. True elegance is timeless .... If you would have looked like an idiot in it 5 years ago...you'll probably look like one 2 years from now! ...., don't buy it!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still keep in boxes quite a few pairs of the ubiquitous Gucci square toe loafers that came in all sorts of color and with many small accessories that were so prevalent almost 10 years ago. I figure since I paid so much for them back then, I might as well save it for the time when square-toe shoes come back into "style". It will happen, like all things in mensware.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you like them you should just wear them. I'm not keen on the "wait until it comes back in style" mantra. Seems to suggest that you're following fashion rather than expressing personal style, which should exist outside of what's fashionable.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I replied yes since one of my Lattanzi pairs has a square but classy toe.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One about 10 year old pair of burgundy J&M monkstraps. Not truly a "square" toe but more squared off than any of my A&E's or Aldens

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have a pair of black pliner lace-ups that have a pretty squarish toe. I actually kind of like them as beater shoes, although the construction is sufficiently shoddy that I probably won't have them much longer.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, EG 888 is a squared off chiseled toe, one the most beautiful lasts ever. Alden Plaza last is also considered as a squared toe. And like J said C&J 337 is another beautiful squared toe.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EG 888, C&J 337, JL 4800, it's hip to be square!

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another YES to JL 4800. The Graziano & Girling posted at Centipede is also a squared toe, drop dead gorgeous.

If I initiate The Squared-Toe Society who wants to join?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads