• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone make properly fitting Victorian-Edwardian style boots?

GlaswegianGent

Reaction score
Hello,

Pardon me if this post is in the wrong forum, it's my first time posting.

I'm posting because I'd like to know if there are any firms/small manufacturers that make ankle boots that look and fit as they did from the late 19th Century into the 1930s. Most surviving dress boots from the period (Balmoral, button, etc) are extremely narrow and feature not only a raised heel, but a sole that lifts off the ground shortly behind the toe. I've yet to encounter a new dress boot that meets this description, including every newly produced Balmoral and button shoe I've come across. Though I am sure the new shoe dimensions likely are significantly more comfortable than the real thing, they lack the authenticity I feel would justify spending upwards of $700-1000 for a pair.

If anyone knows of a manufacturer of narrow boots with a raised sole such as these, please let me know.

I've attached photographs for reference.
0f4f81b4e48dc1b81ef7930675c14b4e--edwardian-shoes-men-boots.jpg
01cf96a96913f214b8c7fe70e178a500--low-boots-ankle-boots.jpg
12-antique-mens-both-1920.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Pardon me if this post is in the wrong forum, it's my first time posting.

I'm posting because I'd like to know if there are any firms/small manufacturers that make ankle boots that look and fit as they did from the late 19th Century into the 1930s. Most surviving dress boots from the period (Balmoral, button, etc) are extremely narrow and feature not only a raised heel, but a sole that lifts off the ground shortly behind the toe. I've yet to encounter a new dress boot that meets this description, including every newly produced Balmoral and button shoe I've come across. Though I am sure the new shoe dimensions likely are significantly more comfortable than the real thing, they lack the authenticity I feel would justify spending upwards of $700-1000 for a pair.

If anyone knows of a manufacturer of narrow boots with a raised sole such as these, please let me know.

I've attached photographs for reference. View attachment 1795593 View attachment 1795594 View attachment 1795595

Are you a vampire who finally wore out his last NOS Edwardian boot you had kept in your closet for the last 100 years?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously, if you want a balmoral boot with a raised heel and a narrow fit, I'd look at any maker that makes narrower sizes (Edward Green does, for instance) and then have a cobbler put a cuban heel on them.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only sure-fire way to get what you want is to go bespoke--someone like @ntempleman.

FWIW, from what I can see,none of the above have a Cuban heel.

notdos

Reaction score
I may be misunderstanding your question. You might take a look at this thread for inspiration. Seems like you’re looking for a spade sole or fiddleback waisted boot. Neither of these necessarily indicate overall narrowness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads